Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I extend my brake lines if I remove my sway bar or should this be ok. I have a 2.5 - 3" OME Lift.
Also, if I'm going with a dual battery set-up where is the most efficient spot to put the second battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
In the back you might be able to bend the bracket where the valve block is, in the front you probably will need extended brake lines.

I'm working on installing 3 batteries (preparing for a very long expedition), the second battery will go where the jack is and the third battery is going where the windshield washer bottle is. I've relocated the windshield washer bottle to the back of the truck.

·
Registered
490 Posts
YES.

You really should. Driving down the road you will be fine. Would hate to see you yank on those brake lines with the added articulation. I am surprized you have not already with near 3" lift.

Did you have to do any other mods for the 3" inch lift??

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
texasrover said:
YES.

You really should. Driving down the road you will be fine. Would hate to see you yank on those brake lines with the added articulation. I am surprized you have not already with near 3" lift.

Did you have to do any other mods for the 3" inch lift??
The reason he hasn't ripped the brake lines out is 'cause OME does not give you 3" of lift. Plus his shocks might be limiting his travel, and his swaybars....

Blue, have you flexed the suspension yet? Try flexing the Disco and have a friend look at the brake lines...

·
Registered
490 Posts
John C said:
The reason he hasn't ripped the brake lines out is 'cause OME does not give you 3" of lift. Plus his shocks might be limiting his travel, and his swaybars...

Yeah... the sway bars look like they may be coming off... right. I suspect he would not remove the sway bars unless he wanted to ad to the articulation. Therefore what ever reason those brake line have made it this far... could very well be changing in the near future.

Removing sway bar, should I get brake extenders. Answer... yes. Get them for the front at least.

Plus does not not hurt to change those out to some stainless lines, and flush out the old fluid from time to time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not flex tested it yet. My plan was to get a buddy to check them out for me as suggested.
Also when I researched the OME's the rep for OME told me I would not need to extend them with the set I was buying. I should have done it anyways.
Great idea for the battery placement. I ditched my bottle jack long ago so that is the logical spot for it.
About the expedition.....My plan for this truck is for extended expedition use. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
under full articulation with the front swaybar removed and the shocks maxed out on a DII 3" OME lift....there was no pull on the front brake or ABS lines....it came close...but no tugging. Though, if yours is a DI, so im not sure. :]

On another note.....when you use Biltstein 7100 long travel shocks....you need extended brake and ABS lines....im glad I didnt go higher up the rock...it would have ripped the ABS lines out (I had already installed the extened brake lines.)

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Ended up with 2.5" of lift with my OME setup on the D1. True, OME does not give you a full 3". I have no sway bars. My brake lines (stock) do not get fully extended when in full flex. The downflex is limited by the shocks (OME). However, IMHO, since these trucks are beasts (as in heavy), it always a good idea to upgrade as many of the safety components you can, one of them being better brake lines and a good fluid.

So to answer your ? about extended brake lines...do it. At some point you will put on shocks that allow for further flex. Trust me...you will...:D

·
Registered
249 Posts
bluemax09 said:
Also, if I'm going with a dual battery set-up where is the most efficient spot to put the second battery?

Thanks
Rather than doing a dual battery set up, woulnd't it just be easier to keep a spare battery. I'm not real expierinced in the whole battery thing, but common sense is telling me it would be a lot easier

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.