Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would it be. Now remember not just for serious offroading but for instruction and for beginners as well. And make a profit at the same time. What would you build? How would you build. and what kind of LRs would have as demonstration vehicles?

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
This is a great question & I wish I had more time to answer. Coincidently, I'm going to an off-road park here in CO tomorrow so will post some observations. I think you nailed it though: a perfect off-road park would have a variety of obstacles from 1-10 to accomodate both rookies & hard-core enthusiasts alike. One of the great things about an off-road park is that it's fun just to watch the big rigs tackle obstacles. It's a great way for those new to the sport to test out their rig & their driving skills in a more controlled environment.

So I would have mud bogs of various depths,,,rock-crawling obstacles of various difficulty,,,trail runs of various difficulty with by-passes on tough obstacles,,,definately a mogul hill,,,a loose-rock hill-climb,,,and a recovery practise area, which I think is important for both rookies & more seasoned hands alike to practice their skills & test their gear in a controlled environment.

The park here charges $20 + $5 per add'l occupant. They seem to be making ends meet w/ that price structure.

In terms of vehicles, ideally I would have them all represented, from Series to New Rangie, in various stages of build-up. Also, demonstrate different types of build-up: mud-bogger, rock-crawler, long-distance challenge vehicle, daily driver/weekend off-roader, etc. But I think I would need to win the lottery to amass all those different Rovers. Might need some volunteers from the board to give up their jobs & come live out on the ranch and become full-time Roverheads :buttrock:

·
Registered
734 Posts
beezel said:
What would it be. Now remember not just for serious offroading but for instruction and for beginners as well. And make a profit at the same time. What would you build? How would you build. and what kind of LRs would have as demonstration vehicles?
Here is a link to one of the places we go to in East Texas, and a park down towards south central Texas

Barnwell

Katemacy

Link to some Barnwell Pics...click link below/click gallery/events/SCARR2 Goodspeed Photos

Barnwell

·
Registered
528 Posts
Funny you should ask about this, I was just thinking about it the other day. Investing in large peices of land, after alittle research, that are surrounding large cities and value's will be increasing in the 10-15 year range. Building a park on them, and make revenue off that, while having fun, while the land value skyrockets.

·
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh and Katemacy shuts down for Deer season.

Thats hilarious. I am sorry it is. ok, I know you dont want people getting shot on the trails.

Actually heard of a guy get shot in an F250 on a fire road. Bloody mes that was. He got it thru the neck and survived.

·
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok did some thinking and this is what I came up with.

A Land Rover Themed Adventure Park for the whole family. With an emphasis on treading lightly.

Starting with Four types of trails. Training trails, beginners, intermediate, and serious offroading with modified Defenders and Discos

And one extra trail modeled after the Solihull testing grounds. Any way all the vehicles in the lineup would be represented so that you can drive or be driven in one of them. And all the trails would have electric gate barriers that open with a special card. Basically like a Hotel room electronic room key. That way you can program what trails the party is able to go on and tackle.

Cameras everywhere to capture all the footage. With all the good shots displayed on a bank of TVs in the main building. And cameras in the cars kinda like Jurassic Park. ALso, the trails would have certain spots you can get out and view animals in their environments. Like a Beaver Pond or a bear in an exhibit. Also a special exhibit you can drive into and sit on the front and take pictures of the animals. Like they do an African Safari. No hunting of any kind though.

The main building would be designed like a log cabin but with a four car heate d garage so the people can get into their LR when its warm. And stay dry. Also it would be a meeting place with their instructors.

The main building would have an indoor cafe surrounded by a giant aquarium with exotic fish and animals. Perhaps an Amazon theme. The gift shop would sell LR gear and other stuff. A fireplace with some couches to warm up and wait. A bank of TVs to watch the action outside. A speciall room for instruction and a kids area with remote controlled cars in a track and a TV where Nature shows are seen. Especially ones containing LRs. Finally an old Series one on display. So they could admire where LR came from. And a babysitting service so the Adults could have fun without the kids. Should they want to anyway. And a few walking trails interwoven thruout the site so spectators can watch firsthand how some of the drivers do. Not to mention see the animals themselves.

I would allow customer LRs as long as they had some training.

finally the maintenance building would also serve as shop for fixing customers LRs and fixing the fleets. Not to mention serving as a hub for 4x4 modifying.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
The only problem w/ owning an off-road park, I would think, would be the liability. No matter how many of waiver forms you have people sign, you're still going to get dragged into legal expense when some yaahoo rolls his rig & tries to sue you for having 'unsafe' obstacles...

·
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
true, but thats why if someone flips their rig, you sue them immediately for endangering the environment and damaging private property when some oil leaks out.

Charge them and sue them for reckless endangerment.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Well...this is a hard question..I like rock crawling, tire lifting, leaning etc...... But other in my family like just to cruise the dirt backroads.....The problem is what type of clintell you want...... If you go higher scale you can have nice sit down dining area.....If you want more family atmosphere go for the bar-b-que set up....As far as obstacles go everyone is different....... I think you'd have to have a hardcore section, hard, moderate, and easy...Then of course the mud...... It'd br great if you could host a UROC competition and still have plenty open for those who want to drive, not watch..This is a hard question...I have thought about it before and always run into problems..... I am planning a trip to Avalanche Ranch here in CO for next summer..I heard it's a blast, we'll see...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.