Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Coil Relocation

I'm doing it right now on the wife's 2004 Disco. The coil "down in the manifold valley" location is a ludicrous idea, regardless of how long they last. It's another piece of evidence that planned obsolescence and forcing the customer to take the vehicle to the Land Rover garage are key design criteria to today's automotive engineers. (Coming from a mechanical engineer, manufacturing technologist, and ASE master tech/ master machinist/master autobody guy with 40 years repair experience).

I had to replace these boogers two years ago and had to do the entire "remove everything off the engine down to the camshaft center line" business. God help you if you don't replace the high tension cables at the same time.....you'll enjoy doing it all again in six months.

I'm presently dealing with the leaking head gasket or leaking cylinder liner issue and am in the last throes of re-assembly.

I've taken the main harness, stripped the crinkly, oily tape cover off, slit the charcoal-crunchy cover off, and peeled the two coil leads back to the last junctions with the main harness. I then re-taped the entire harness and labeled the coil connectors "Passenger" and "Driver" sides.....

I plan to fabricate an aluminum bracket for each coil, locate a sweet location for each coil, re-rout the high tension cables appropriately.

Send me your email address and I'll send detailed pics when I'm done. Jabbadalen

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I would agree with if its broken why fix it BUT it is a lousy place for the coils so why not relocate them.
I like your idea of making up a bracket and putting them in a better location.
Ignition wires will likely need to be a custom set I would think.
Please share your ideas and progress with this project.
Good luck on your rebuild!
I just finished similar on my 2002

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly what my genius mechanic friend and his son are doing right now. They've done what you've done to the wire harness, but they tell me it doesn't make any difference between the the 2 connectors you've called passenger and driver. I don't agree because the color coding is different between the two. Can you identify what the color coding goes to which side please.

Yesterday the plan was to relocate both coil packs on the passenger side of the engine and mount it to the fire wall. Today they may have a different plan.

Also what are your plans for replacing the wires from the coil packs to the spark plugs?

George

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's exactly what my genius mechanic friend and his son are doing right now. They've done what you've done to the wire harness, but they tell me it doesn't make any difference between the the 2 connectors you've called passenger and driver. I don't agree because the color coding is different between the two. Can you identify what the color coding goes to which side please.

Yesterday the plan was to relocate both coil packs on the passenger side of the engine and mount it to the fire wall. Today they may have a different plan.

Also what are your plans for replacing the wires from the coil packs to the spark plugs?

George[/quote]
Hi George!

I believe you are correct.....it will be critical.

Driver side comes out of harness much farther toward the driver side geographically. Three wires, red-green, brown-orange, and blue (maybe gray!). The other side was very enthusiastically re-taped and I don't want to unravel it unless you can't figger it out by process of elimination. Let me know asap and I'll try to oblige.

I'll lay the coils atop the air box until she runs, then figure out a mounting place. It will probably be a challenge. I may buy a spool of Accel yellow wire and connectors and make custom wires, or order a second set of wires and use them selectively until they all reach. Hanging the coils from the hood with monofilament would be an improvement from OEM. :)

Cheers! Jabbadalen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.