Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2000 Disco with about 60,000 miles on it. At the beginning of last summer I had to replace an ignition coil when my #8 cylinder stopped firing. This summer, right after the temperature started to warm up, my #5 and #8 stopped working. I am told the ignition coils need to be replaced again! Is there something I can do to make these coils to last longer?? I can only assume it may have something to do with the extreme temperature differences. (-60F in the winter to 80F in the summer), but no one can tell me why. Also, since I have to order the parts off the internet, which may take a week or so, how safe on the car is it to drive without 2 cylinders firing?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Coil failure is usually the result of neglecting the vehicles ignition, mainly worn spark plugs, and/or, open circuit spark plug leads. This causes the coil/s to perform at maximum output. The increase in the voltage demand means more current flowing through the coil/s primary circuit, and, this primary current flow can overload the power stage primary transistor. The increased secondary current created by the ignition coil/s can increase to the point that it perforates the secondary circuit in the coil itself.
Defective ignition coil/s, are sensitive to extreme changes in ambient temperature. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
73 Posts
tcfarrar said:
I drive a 2000 Disco with about 60,000 miles on it. At the beginning of last summer I had to replace an ignition coil when my #8 cylinder stopped firing. This summer, right after the temperature started to warm up, my #5 and #8 stopped working. I am told the ignition coils need to be replaced again! Is there something I can do to make these coils to last longer?? I can only assume it may have something to do with the extreme temperature differences. (-60F in the winter to 80F in the summer), but no one can tell me why. Also, since I have to order the parts off the internet, which may take a week or so, how safe on the car is it to drive without 2 cylinders firing?
i had the same problem.....had the coil replaced and the ignition ecu replaced. that did not solve the problem.#5and#8 cylinder still misfired,vehicle ran like crap.all the work was done at an indy rover mechanic and it took them 3months to tell me that they could not fix the problem.toook my 2001 dicso 2se7 the dealer.......dealer fixed the problem in one day.the problem spark plugs and wires.i was using bosch plat.and a highend wire set.now i use only stock plugs and wires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.