Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all. Currently rattling to work in a late series 111 which, though originally diesel, has had a petrol conversion. The 'stop' control for fuel still there along with the low fuel light. Has had a choke control fitted and also there is a switch under the right dash ( english spec) which does not appear in my owners manual ? The previous owner started her by flicking the switch - which lghts-up the charge warning lamp, and then turned the key. She will roar into life at the first turn of the starter. Though , now sometimes nothing, not even a solenoid click. Experimented with turning the key to turn the motor 1 or 2 turns before flicking the switch to achieve again instant ignition. Worked for a week or so, but once again, i'm sometimes getting silence?
Has anyone had a similar problem with a conversion? In other instances (not LR), the problem has always been the lock barrel assembly, which, if unrectified, got a taste for chewing-up starter motors. Ow!
Thanks again for help with the 1,00 mile trip.
Malcolm ( Lavaur ,France).

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
For starters, I would probably install a proper ignition switch, and do away with the added, non-keyed ignition. The conversion doesn't however sound like the source of the problem. It sounds to me that there is a faulty wire to the control circuit of the solonid, or a faulty solonoid. If your not even hearing the solonoid click, I doubt it's the starter motor itself.
However problematic english wiring systems are reputed to be, the series truck wiring is so simple. The problems usually occur with corroded bullet connectors, or other connection, but not as a result of any complexity.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Landy packed-up. Connection to starter swinging. The 2 cables to bushes from this almost gone. Had the starter soldered-up while waiting for new bushes. Starter worked fine on the deck with jump cables. Same iffy ignition though. Resorted to screwdriver ignition post to post on solenoid ( test button not working, new solenoid on it's way). However, juice across the posts seemed to increase - screwdriver starting to get a little marked-up. Today the screwdriver suddenly took on a heavy droop and fell apart when i tried to straighten it! Suspect that the starter is earthing . Might wear a glove next time i try that... Is it time to get a new starter? Malcolm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.