Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '95 LWB I am having a hard time removing the key from the ignition. When you get to the point where you have to depress the key and rotate it a bit more, the key cylinder won't allow me to depress it.. I notice if I fiddle around with the gear selector (automatic) it will do it.. I wonder if there is something loose in the gear selector lever mechanism and hence I can't get the key out... :shifty:

Serg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sometimes the switch in the gear selector sticks. At least thats whats wrong with mine.
By putting your foot on the brake pedal and lightly flicking the lever on the bottem of the shifter up and down while in park you might hear a light metallic "ping" in the steering wheel column near the ignition switch. This is the mechanism preventing you from removing the darn key. After doing this for a few seconds you should be able to remove the key. The only other time this happened was when my battery was almost dead. Charging up the battery took care of that problem.

Good Luck

·
Registered
489 Posts
The ignition switches in the Classics were / are extremely tempermental. I had just gassed mine up at a busy gas station, paid for the gas, and couldn't get the car started for about an hour! (Blocking the pumps, of course) The key wouldn't turn in the cylinder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 1992. I eventually shot WD-40 into the switch and it solved it. However I was told that graphite might be the better way to go as it will last longer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts