Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Disco owners, I'm in need of some help. I own a 02 Discovery II with 120k on the clock. She's treaded me quite well for the time I've owned her. Recently I have encountered a funny issue with the ignition and its got me stumped. The Disco will start fine with a fuel tank over 1/2 full, anything under 1/2 a tank and it will turn over but never ignite on first attempt (no matter how long u hold the key). Second turn of the key and it starts right away. Also will start right up if the engine is warm even with under 1/2 tank. I have a OBDII reader and its not throwing any codes. My first guess was fuel pump issue? But wanted an opinion before i start taking apart the rear interior.

Anyone else encounter this issue? Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks -MrOwl

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Could very possibly be the pump, do you have a fuel pressure tester?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could very possibly be the pump, do you have a fuel pressure tester?
Can't say I have one, or that I ever used one. Sounds like a wise investment though. What kind of pressure would be ideal? Should I test close to the fuel pump or closer to the fuel rail? Multiple areas maybe?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have run into this a couple times where the Disco will turn over but only start after the 2nd or third time trying and rarely before. Typically, the pump itself is working fine, it's the regulator on top/inside of the pump that is failing.

The Schaeder Valve (#2 in the image) is no joy to find and or attach a fuel pressure tool to as it is hidden under the upper intake. Dropping a few bucks on a tester sounds like fun at the tool shop but, really,,, save your money and efforts and get a new pump or regulator. It's about the cost of the tool and will fix your problem.

The pump is hidden underneath your carpet in the rear cargo area and needs to be rolled / pulled up. Then four Phillips screws hold the cover plate on, remove it. Clean around the holding ring so debris doesn't fall into the tank. The ring has ridges on the top where you can place a screw driver and tap it (with a mallet) to move the ring to the left to loosen it. remove the ring, remove the fuel line input and the electronic connectors. Gently, lift the pump out and angle it just right to get the float out without damage. The rubber gasket should still be around the hole but maybe attached to the pump. Inspect it for cracks and replace as needed. This ring must be placed in position BEFORE the pump is put back into place and the ring securing the pump. If not it will not seat properly. Notice the tabs and the position of these tabs that align the pump into proper position upon removal. You may need to gently pry the pump out to release it from the tank. Simple process and saves a few $$$. You just need to be patient during the process. Getting the carpet up can be the biggest chore....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts