Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to track down information about the ignition switch on my 1966 SIIa. It's the kind with the headlamp switch around the outside of the ignition switch.

Today when I got to work I turned the key off to kill the engine and nothing happened; it just kept on running. I finally killed the engine by letting the clutch out in gear with the brakes on. I disconnected the battery to keep the electric fuel pump from running all day. At least it didn't fail in the 'off' position!

I suppose the gubbins in the switch have started to fall apart and it probably just needs putting back together. I'm guessing it's pretty straightforward, but would still like to see a diagram before I start ripping things apart.

Any info, advice, or caveats?

Thanks!

-Chris Estes-

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I had a go at the switch this morning.

I spent an hour or so poking around on the Internet last night looking for information and there's surprisingly little out there. Terri Ann Wakeman had some good info (like take it apart inside a plastic bag to keep the parts from flying off in all directions).

My switch isn't fixable; the shaft that grabs the rotor that supplies power to the igntion system is worn (cheap plastic), so I just ordered a new one (ouch!). At least i can get it to turn off in the meantime with a little jiggling of the key.

It's amazing that such a machine can be disabled by this dodgy little part! Lucas...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.