Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few weeks now, I'm only able to remove my key from the ignition on my D1 about 50% of the time. Thinking it was related to steering wheel position for some reason (steering wheel lock would also not engage), I would restart the vehicle, reverse, wiggle the wheel, drive forward, wiggling the steering wheel, and then try again. Usually after 2-4 times of restarting the vehicle I'd finally get the key out. Seems to work best with the wheel centered. After doing a little troubleshooting today I find that it is electrical in nature... with power removed (battery disconnected) I can remove the key easily and the wheel will lock when turned.

My initial thoughts are that this is an ignition switch going bad, or a rotary coupler in the steering wheel assembly on its last legs. I've seen on this forum before a couple of similar problems with folks mentioning to use graphite lubricant. I don't think that will solve this as the key is easily inserted/removed with electrical power removed. I also tried the transmission selector wiggle method mentioned to Serg quite a while back - no joy.

Serg, did you ever fix your problem when you had it with the RRC? Anyone else have suggestions, thoughts, ideas, prayers to the Rover Gods?

Thanks!

Bender

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solved?

Martin,

Thanks to a post on one of the NC club sites, it does indeed seem to be the transmission selector. :clap: Not a matter of wiggling the selector lever, but pressing forward while in park. I've tried it several times now with the key stuck and each time it worked. I have to press forward with the transmission selector (press hard) then usually turn the key back to position I before turning it to 0 and trying to remove it. Evidently I'll need to adjust the transmission linkage to take out some slack... I'm also going to take compressed air and blow some of the inevitable accumulated gunk out of the area to see if that helps. I'll try that next weekend and post how it works out.

Bender

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.