Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

I'm buying my first Land Rover

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  edh 
#1 ·
Hi Folks

I'm buying my daughter-in-laws 1996 L.R. Discovery. She has now got a company car and with the gas prices the way they are now she decided that she should part with her pet Discovery. She has babied this vehicle for the past 4 yrs, service contract etc so I think it's in good shape. I have made an appointment with our local Land Rover dealer for next Thursday to have the fluids changed and have it given a quick going over.
This will be my first 4 wheel drive vehicle so any tips about what to look for service wise would be appreciated. My daughter-in-law never drove it off road so it is in nice condition. I drive west to Radium BC frequently so it will be nice to have the added security of 4 wheel drive on those snowy mountain roads in the winter.

Ed

#2 ·
NIIIICE...I own a 96 as well. Oh man, since it was never wheeled, It' going to be a BIZATCH to move the Transfer Case lever into its different positions. Start messin around with it now, so that when the snow does start to come down, the lever will be able to move easier. How many miles has it got? If its near the 120k mark, your catalytics will most probably be emitting the marbles-in-a-can sound. Power Steering Resevior clamps for the hoses are know to go bad and cause one of the many leaks LR are known for having. Those are relatively easy to change. How's your headliner? Does it sag? I'm guessin yours is still ok since you've got a cooler climate, as humidity is usually a catalyst to the cause. I'm sure I've forgotten something, someone else will jump in and throw some more stuff to look at for ya. Welcome to the fam for now, and enjoy the site, you'll find everything you need to know here. :wave: :drink1:

#3 ·
Well well well.....looks like a fellow Calgarian. Welcome to the board.

I own a black '95 Disco that I just picked up in April from Land Rover of Calgary (complete with a 3 year extended warranty)...So far so good!

The t-case wasn't too bad on mine, but it did have the dreader cat rattle.The dealership replaced the cats with straight pipes. A few minor leaks on mine...nothing too major. Needed a new windshield (like 1/2 of the vehicles in Calgary) and a good tune-up.

I have had excellent service from Land Rover of Calgary. No complaints... :wave:

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum EDH. :wave: The only thing that I would like to add at this point, especially as you are new to 4x4's, is that your vehicle in stock form is not a tank (newbies often think that it is). Start loosening up your Transfer lever as Binary Man has suggested. Being able to lock up your diffs in slippery conditions is certainly an advantage, however, when the snow arrives, you will still need to fit chains.

#5 ·
you might also want to start looking for an independant shop instead of the dealer as they'll stick it to you. take a look at roverparkboys.com for parts they're located in edmonton and prices are decent and shipping would be cheap for you and no customs.
good luck with it
take care
sam

#7 ·
Thanks for the tips:

- Myhomescape..Thats the dealer I'm taking it too and also the dealer my DIL bought it from.
- Disco..thanks for the warning. I have been driving a 74 Travellall for the past 27yrs so I know a bit about tanks. This is a real deluxe vehicle that will get the best care I can afford maintenance and drivingwise.

Thanks

Ed

#9 ·
I picked it up today. Boy sure is different than the old cornbinder. DIL kept all the repair bills,,quite a few to my thinking. Standard trans,,tires are 1 yr old, fancy iron grill on the front and a huge stereo my son bought for her. He kept the old radio so as soon as he finds it I'll get it. Big 16" tires.
It's going to take me some time to get used to a standard. I did have a 57 chevy standard when I was young so I'll get onto this eventually.
A bit stiff shifting from high to low range and back, but that will work out.
My uncle had a 50's something rover that we used to take back into the mountains fishing, seems I recollect doing some long off road steep climbs at a walking pace in that thing. I stalled today when I tried low range for the first time.
I'm taking it to work tomorrow. There's one or two others from time to time in the parking lot.
So this weekend I'll spend time going over it a bit, making note of a few paint blems and other minor stuff. It'll go into Land Rover Calgary next Thursday for a checkup.
MYHOMESCAPE...Thanks for mentioning the off road trip that Land Rover is putting on in September. I think I'll have to learn how to drive this veh better
before I venture too far off road.

ED

#10 ·
Incidently, if the vehicle is an automatic, you need to shift into neutral to engage low range. Perhaps this could be the reason why you cannot engage low. You can do this whilst the vehicle is stationary, however, if the lever is still stiff, you may need to be moving, but not more than 5 km/hr.
Whilst your trying to loosen up the transfer lever, don't engage Diff Lock whilst your on solid ground like bitumen, and if you do, don't drive very far as the wheels need to slip. Damage can result.

#12 ·
edh said:
MYHOMESCAPE...Thanks for mentioning the off road trip that Land Rover is putting on in September. I think I'll have to learn how to drive this veh better
before I venture too far off road.

ED
Check with them. Perhaps there is a way you can get a lift with someone this time. At least you can come along and see what the vehicle is capable of.....then next time bring your disco.

#13 ·
Thanks again for the encouragement.

Disco..This veh has a standard transmission. Shifting from high range to low range is not a problem. Seems to want to bind a bit going back into high, but it's probably me just being a bit hesitant. My son says the rover must be stopped in neutral to shift the high - low range. I don't think there's a problem .

MYHOMESCAPE..Thanks for the info,,I'll ask them when I get down there.

The trip to work was fine,,had to search for the lights switch though. I managed to hit all the red lights on the way so got lots of practice shifting. Good thing there's not much traffic at 5:30 AM.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.