Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,Right here goes,I have been doing a bit of off roading for the last few years in my modified suzuki jeep.'Yes i know that there has been a bit of banter between zook owners and landy owners'.Anyway the zook has now gone and i wished i had not sold it.So i thought i will wait for a landrover to come along at the right price Well i have been offered a 1979 swb Diesel pick up for £500,It needs the brakes doing and a bit of tlc but other than that it looks solid.What i want to know is can i fit defender body parts,can i fit a V8 without to much trouble,can it be converted to coil spring,ect ect.Please be gentle i know nothing about land rovers (yet).Also what series would it be.
Thanks
keefy................ :drive:

·
Registered
110 Posts
1979 would be a series III,
yes rover 3.5l v8's can be fitted
parabolic springs can be fitted, see latest land rover monthly i tgink for extra reach shocks,
watch out for rust on chassis and bulhesd, bod work is aluminium,

my dinner is ready

·
Registered
125 Posts
Parabolics would be cheaper and simpler than a coil conversion, and won't affect your insurance.

A V8 can be fitted, but these great engines are very susceptible to water in the ingnition circuit - you're better off making sure the diesel is running well; fitted with a snorkel it'll run submerged. Both engines are renowned for their robustness and reliability, if well maintained, and though the 2.25d lacks high end power, it does have admirable low down torque, which is what you need off road.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'll agree that offroading in a series rig takes a bit more "finesse" than you're used to seeing with more modern vehicles. It seems that the way to get over an obstacle in something like a Jeep XJ for example, is to mash the throttle and get up it. In a series truck, set it in 4 low and idle your way up...

I'll also vote for the parabolics as opposed to a spring conversion...keep it simple, reliable and rebuildable and it won't let you down...or if it does, it won't take you long to fix it.

Sure fitting a v8 is a possibility, you'll prolly get better gas mileage...ha, but unless you are driving a long way on the highway I'd say it's not worth the trouble. How about an overdrive?

Bogatyr

·
Registered
125 Posts
On the contrary, a V8 will guzzle a gallon every 13 miles. A 2.25d in good order should provide approximately 20-25mpg, more with an overdrive. The diesel will give you 55-60mph, 70 with overdrive, but will struggle to get more than 50 mph up long or steep hills. The V8 will give you the ability to cruise at 70, and push 80, but you'd have to consider raising the diff gearing (not that cheap) to get real advantages. However, to travel at those speeds safely in an 88, your suspension, steering and brakes would have to be in excellent, not just serviceable condition.

I'd strongly recommend a set of TIC or RM parabolics with ProComp ES3000s, and a bit of tlc on the existing engine (new timing chain and tensioner, decent recon injectors and a checkover of the pump, and a K&N filter) will do wonders, without complicated, expensive modification.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Snagger,
Wow...we seem to have the opposite experience over here. Seems that people who have done a v8 conversion (SBC or Ford) will get 17-20 or so. With my 2.25 I've never gotten more than 17, last tank was 13 and change. I do want to fit an overdrive, but I know I've got a bit of a problem with my carb...I think the floats are improperly set, so that's my next task...believe me, if I could get 20 I'd be ecstatic, but I've only heard of people topping 20 over here with a diesel engine.

Yeah, the gearing is the real problem...my truck screams at 50, don't like going much faster than that...but ya know, I just pull over and let people pass...no biggie, I can go places they can't...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry for not being clear; I was refering to the currently fitted 2.25d (diesel), not the 2.25petrol, which supposedly gives about 18mpg (my wornout unit did about 15mpg, plus a quart of oil per 100miles!). Both are good engines, but the 2.25's lack of economy lends itself to a V8 conversion, where the extra power would allow a gearing increase (usually diffs) to gain the 17-18 mpg you mention (ie better performance with similar economy). An 88 on 6.00s and standard gearing would have poor economy indeed.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Conv

LPG makes V8s a very viable proposition giving a cost per mile equivalent of 28-32mpg in a series.Its quite an easy conversion from 2.25 to V8 with only a little alteration to the bulkhead and conversion kit required its worth it for the power and sound.
Onz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts