Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,506 Posts
David Verbisky said:
Hello there all. Anyone have any info on how to start process of importing Defender 110 Tdi left-drive into Canada? Land Rover UK & Canada aren't too interested in helping out. Cheers.

David.
Canada has a 15 year restriction, in other words you can import any vehicle that is over 15 years that doesn't meet their requirements. That's all I know.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Import 110 into Canada

Canada has a 15 year restriction, in other words you can import any vehicle that is over 15 years that doesn't meet their requirements. That's all I know.

Hello John C. Thanks for the reply. Could you please clarify a bit - does a new 110 Tdi therefore qualify for importation into Canada, or do I have a huge road block to overcome? Cheers.

David.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
David Verbisky said:

Hello John C. Thanks for the reply. Could you please clarify a bit - does a new 110 Tdi therefore qualify for importation into Canada, or do I have a huge road block to overcome? Cheers.

David.
Hi David,

In the US there is a list of vehicles that can be imported with no modifications.

For example, you can import a 93 D110 that met US specs. I heard the 93 110s from France had the same EPA/DOT specs than the US 110 so you could import one from France (from 1993 only). I am not sure Canada has the same regulations but I'm sure you can find out via an internet search.

Good luck.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
This topic has about been beaten to death, but I guess it's fair to say that no one I recall has asked about importing into Canada.
The ONLY manner in which the US and Canada Import regulations differ, is to the age of the vehicle. UNLESS it is on the NHTSA list of approved vehicles, it must be AT LEAST 25 years old to import to the US, or AT LEAST 15 years old to Import into Canada.
There is ONE Defender which has been placed on the list (Which both Canada and US refer to. It is the 1993 Defender 110. If you want to import a Defender, it can ONLY be a 110, and it will be either 15 years old, or 25 years old for the US, or it will be "Substantially the Same" as one previously imported. There have been NO diesel defenders (legally) imported.
Go to the NHTSA website and read the regulations. Before you say it, go read it and you will see that Canada uses the SAME criteria. If you still think you can do it, call one of the RIs (Registered Importer) on the list. Trust me when I tell you, if there were an easy way to do it, there would be alot more Defenders around, and they would be selling for realistic prices.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
John C said:
In the US there is a list of vehicles that can be imported with no modifications.

m
John, because it is on the NHTSA list does NOT mean it doesn't have to be modified. The list is just those cars which have been determined to be substantially the same as ones which has been imported. It still has to be imported by an RI and it must still have modifications done, where necessary, to meet the same standards which were in place when that previously imported vehicle came in. It will still have to have USDOT glass, restraints, and emmissions equal to. (and signed off) It also requires a customs bond be posted. As an example, the only Defender importable (under the current list) is an EFI, catalyst equipped, V8, gasoline engine 1993 Defender 110.
A person if willing, and rich, could get a '94, '95 or '97 D90 put on the list also, but in order to petition for a qualification number of one of the three catagories, it would cost far more than buying one already here.
I believe it was Amerispec (ridgfield, CT)who did the petition for the 110, and I was told that the total cost of the petition was over $25K, not counting the cost to buy the vehicle or ship it here.

· Registered
321 Posts
ex g/f friends husband worked for the canadian government. had a long talk about this. the 15 year old thing is true. doesn't have to meet any requirements except for saftey.... you might have to get emmisions done though.. try this link
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm
as i recall, he said the most expensive part is actually getting the vechile here. also you'll need to look into duty/ customs
can't call ex to get that guys number as she's not talking to me :)
good luck
sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.