Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't even waste your time......if its not at least 15 years old to the month....it will be a loosing battle.

my advice is to get a good 15 year old Land Rover and get the 300tdi put it it over in the UK before it comes to Canada......

i have been down this road and if i were to do this again, thats what i would do :) :) :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Importing.....

Hi David,
I agree with Gord, not much chance of getting it into Canada unless its 15 yrs or older.
There is a couple of outfits that are importing "knocked down kits" which are basically new defenders that come over it a kit form, then get rebuilt in Canada. This seems to be a little loop hole (for now).

Here is a link about importing for your reading,

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/bringing_goods/motor_vehicles/menu-e.html

Good luck,
Andy

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
That's odd. Why Canada would want old car to be ok to import?

I have friends that import cars to Poland and Poland wants all new or no more then 5 years old . If they are older then 5 years , the Tax is unbelivable .

People did that two with cars from germany . They tuke them apart , got some paper that the car was for parts , and they got it in as parts car , later assembled it , and registered it . But that loop hole is gone now in my country .

Now Anyone knows if it would be posible to import that car from USA to Canada ?

And I would like to know for my self , on How hard would be to import a car to USA thrue Canada ( a japaniese car ) .

·
Registered
5 Posts
David Verbisky said:
Hello fellow Canucks. Does anyone know how to go about importing a new 110 Tdi left-drive into Canada? Land Rover UK & Canada aren't interested in helping too much. Cheers.

David.
Where in Canada are you? or are you in the UK? :0) I don't think Kits are admissable in Canada?? Could be wrong though.

Geoff...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking for 200tdi LHD D110 station wagon

Hey. I thought I'd throw in here, just to get the word out. I'm looking for a LHD Canada-legal (>15 years old) D110 station wagon with a 200tdi.

If anyone has something like that for sale, or good contacts to help me source one overseas, I'd love to hear from you. I'm in Waterloo, Ontario.

Thanks a lot,
- Andrew Clarke.
andrew at clarke dot ca

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If you are in Ontario, forget about the knock down kit... you will not get insurance. They changed to insurance laws and it is considered a Kit car... As well I would not put the 300tdi in it till it gets to Canada. That engine was not registered to that year of truck and if they run the engine number they will send it back or bury the truck ( a mate of mine works at the docks in Halifax and watched one get crushed and buried, almost cried, due to a 300tdi in an old truck.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Andrew Barr. I tried emailing your hotmail account yesterday but it bounced. You wouldn't happen to have gone to high school in Kenya and lived Malawi, would you? I knew another Andrew Barr who's the same age. I just moved from southern California back to Ontario (Waterloo) although I'm moving near London (Embro) in a couple months so it would be good to know other local Land Rover people regardless of whether I used to know you or not!

What's this about crushing vehicles with a 300tdi? I thought you could import an old vehicle even if it had a new engine. Do you know what happens if I import, say, a 1988 with a 200tdi in it? Or are they only worried if it's an engine that wasn't in the vehicle at all > 15 years ago, like the 300tdi or td5?

Thanks,
- Andrew.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Andrew:
Send the email to theYahoo account, the Hotmail account never seems to work. Unfortunately I have never been to Kenya,but it is on the travel list... definately always good to meet another rover owner... what truck you got?

As for the truck, since the numbers did not match, I believe the frame number was okay, but the bulkhead and engineand tranny numbers were not 15 years old, so they demolished it.. such a crying shame...

·
ACCELERATOR-CO.JP
2 Posts
Hello David...
I am a Canadian (Vancouverite) now living in Kobe, Japan.
I have a used vehicle source & export company here so perhaps I can help.

The Land Rover Defender can be imported into Canada if it is >15 years old.
Lefthand or Righthand drive is ok (except perhaps Quebec).

The vehicle must be in proper running order with the correct D.O.T. tyres and the correct watt bulbs.

Probably, as "Exmodland" suggests, it is likely you will require few modifications to clear customs and get it on the road. Also, importing European vehicles from Japan where the vehicles must undergo similar inspections every 2 years (SHAKEN) in their life over here, that has been rather easy too.

Good luck...feel free to contact me if you would like to import from Japan.

Drive safe.

ACCELERATOR-CO.JP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there,
We are a couple from Germany, trevelling with a Land Rover Defender 110 TDi (1994). We Fried to sell the Car in the US, but you only can do it illegal. But we want to sell ist, because our trip is almost over and we don't want to ship it back.
Is Anybody here interested in buying it?

Cheers
Claus

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Hi there,
We are a couple from Germany, trevelling with a Land Rover Defender 110 TDi (1994). We Fried to sell the Car in the US, but you only can do it illegal. But we want to sell ist, because our trip is almost over and we don't want to ship it back.
Is Anybody here interested in buying it?

Cheers
Claus
How much???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay, here's some more information:
We had an accident (we overturned) in Chile and couldn't fix the bodydamages perfectly, so the car is not "pretty", but I an an mechanical engineer, so I took very well care of the mecanical shape of the car.

Here is some fotos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1086056...JOk_6GY4MC_vgE

Here are mechanical facts:
2 take a rest: for sale / zu verkaufen
Our Blog:
2 take a rest

The price: 18500 US$

We would try to meet on the west canadian-american border, that's the easiest for the paperwork

Cheers,
Claus

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello fellow Canucks. Does anyone know how to go about importing a new 110 Tdi left-drive into Canada? Land Rover UK & Canada aren't interested in helping too much. Cheers.

David.
If u are in for a 2010 defender 110 grey color and with 11000km on it let me know have a frd selling one in this part of the world ( Saudi Arabia) it has a 4 cylinder TDI. The car is in superb condition. Find out if u can ship it to Canada and I would love to help u out

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 defenders 110 into cananda...

Well this is a rather long thread - goes back to 2005! So I want to do the same thing. I have found two Defender 110s in the UK and a bloke to ship them. 8000GBP for the two defenders, and 5300GBP for the container to ship them to Canada. I was looking at getting 1 and then shipping and he told me that 2 fit quite well. Even at 4000GBP each, I thought I could - or should rather - fly over to the UK and inspect them, get them cleaned by a certified company (Canada requires professional steam cleaning to protect out 'fragile eco-system') before they are loaded into the container, sealed and shipped off.

$23,000 is a bit out of my current budget - but I figured I could easily sell the 2nd defender once I had it on Canadian soil. That said - if someone is looking for an original Defender 110 diesel - one is an 86, the other a 93 - ex military soft tops with full records. The military services theses things top notch all the time - no matter what the cost. New tires - MOT'd for both, so in good working order.

Anyone interested?

ironic dot irony1 at gmail dot com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well this is a rather long thread - goes back to 2005! So I want to do the same thing. I have found two Defender 110s in the UK and a bloke to ship them. 8000GBP for the two defenders, and 5300GBP for the container to ship them to Canada. I was looking at getting 1 and then shipping and he told me that 2 fit quite well. Even at 4000GBP each, I thought I could - or should rather - fly over to the UK and inspect them, get them cleaned by a certified company (Canada requires professional steam cleaning to protect out 'fragile eco-system') before they are loaded into the container, sealed and shipped off.

$23,000 is a bit out of my current budget - but I figured I could easily sell the 2nd defender once I had it on Canadian soil. That said - if someone is looking for an original Defender 110 diesel - one is an 86, the other a 93 - ex military soft tops with full records. The military services theses things top notch all the time - no matter what the cost. New tires - MOT'd for both, so in good working order.

Anyone interested?

ironic dot irony1 at gmail dot com
Hi Ironic,

I know you posted three years ago, but I was just wondering if you went through with the importation of the two Landrovers to Canada and how it went. I'm a Canadian currently living in France for a year, and am also looking to bring one back to Canada. It is a bit daunting trying to sort through all the rules and regulations involved, so any advice would be really appreciated. So far I contacted the Canada Border Services and they said their only requirement was that the vehicle be 15+ years old, so that's clear. Then I contacted Ontario (that's where we live) Drive Clean, and they sent me a special "grey-market" application form since I don't think a 2000 Landrover Defender 110 diesel would have ODBC1 or ODBC2 computer etc, so that means I would just have to do a tail-pipe measured emissions test at two idle speeds.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Best regards,

Chris

timusk at hotmail dot com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.