Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my RRC but it is really "darty" on the freeway and on Colorado's rutted freeways. I am looking for ways to improve the driveability of the truck as I am starting to look at a more heavy restoration of the car and driving it daily. That said if i cant clean it up a little i may get rid of the truck because the white knuckle freeway ride over about 60 is really getting old.

Currently the truck is set up as follows:

ARB springs
Bilstien shocks
P225/75 Copper Snows

Just had the wheel bearings tightened and tie-rods replaced.

· Registered
255 Posts
start with alignment after the work you had done. repost after alignment; so we all can know. there is also the "dreaded death shimmy" fairly violent shake about 50 mph. be sensitive to that; different fix.

· Registered
167 Posts
Just a thought from a similar previous experience with a D90: You might check your bushings - especially the rears.
My 1995 tracks beautifully and my setup is very similar to yours except for Goodyear DuraTracs.

· Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
Just a thought from a similar previous experience with a D90: You might check your bushings - especially the rears.
My 1995 tracks beautifully and my setup is very similar to yours except for Goodyear DuraTracs.
Bingo. My '95 RRC was scary on the road. I replaced all the bushing in the rear and it solved the problem. The radius arm bushings (2 on one end and 1 on the other) are usually the culprit.

Colin

· Registered
106 Posts
Couple items that come to mind.

Check for play in the swivel pin bearings as well.
Lifting will tend to decrease caster angle which can lead to less stable steering, so make sure to note what caster you have when they do the alignment. If it is out of spec, I think you can get eccentric bushing which will allow you to correct it, or you can get caster correcting radius arms.
Check the condition of your steering damper as well.
Check the condition of the pan hard rod bushings.
Make sure your steering box is adjusted correctly too.

· Registered
2,065 Posts
Check everything to do with suspension and steering. Don't stop checking if you find a problem, there is often more than one. Replace worn components in sets that include anything that has had to work in direct conjunction with the worn part.

My 2c

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it is the bushes it will tend to steer with power. That is, if it tends to want to pull one way when you accelerate and the opposite way when you slow down, one or more of your bushes are gone.
Finally got into this thing this week and all of the bushings, and ball joints are good, minimal play, alignment was off but not massively. I am going try a different set of tires from a friends rrc and see if that is the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.