Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks. I've never been real thrilled with the relatively low HP and Torque of the 4.6 as set up by Rover. I'm figuring that I will either rebuild mine at some point later this year or replace the motor. It has that annoying noise (sounds like a slipping sleeve) whenever the temp exceeds about 204 or so. Anyway... I got to reading and realized that TVR had put the engine in their Chimaera. And, they had improved the performance numbers to: 4.5 liter, 4,546cc, 285 bhp (213 kW; 289 PS) 310 lb·ft (420 N·m). Why can't we get the same performance ??? It would make a world of difference in the Disco....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Chimaera

·
Registered
233 Posts
The main thing is the remapping of the ECU. Tornado systems and turner engineering are both well known. its a great upgrade for a factory engine and just plain necessary for performance upgrade. The factory fuel maps will forever hold it back until they have done their thing to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The main thing is the remapping of the ECU. Tornado systems and turner engineering are both well known. its a great upgrade for a factory engine and just plain necessary for performance upgrade. The factory fuel maps will forever hold it back until they have done their thing to it.
Are you running one of these currently?

·
Registered
233 Posts
If there's a Tornado system for the 4.6 DII engine I can't find it.
There are some threads on LRFs concerning the subject.
Tornadosystems.com
You have to ship your ECU to their location in the UK

I haven't done mine yet but I will next year. Not only does it improve fuel consumption but increases power throughout the full range and cuts the fuel when changing auto gearbox from Park to Reverse. If you don't have the "thunk" sound when engaging reverse, you will sooner or later and part of their remapping is specifically for this. its impossible to get any HP or performance over stock output without the ECU tune, as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If there's a Tornado system for the 4.6 DII engine I can't find it.
Help for the handicapped searchers among us.

Who knows if they work? Please come out from hiding with your reports even if a waste of money and embarrassed to say so.

Stock: Tornado Systems | Bosch Motronic Ecu upgrade for Land rover Discovery 2 4.0/4.6 and Range rover P38 Thor engine

Bigger capacity: Tornado Systems | Tornado Land Rover V8 Motronic Thor Capacity upgrade 4.6 4.8 5.0 Chip set

·
Registered
3 Posts
"its impossible to get any HP or performance over stock output without the ECU tune, as well."

Actually, you can. It's surprising how much the Motronic system will "learn". But there is a limit to HP. Mostly because of the restriction of the Thor inlet manifold.

·
Thom
4 Posts
There are some threads on LRFs concerning the subject.
Tornadosystems.com
You have to ship your ECU to their location in the UK

I haven't done mine yet but I will next year. Not only does it improve fuel consumption but increases power throughout the full range and cuts the fuel when changing auto gearbox from Park to Reverse. If you don't have the "thunk" sound when engaging reverse, you will sooner or later and part of their remapping is specifically for this. its impossible to get any HP or performance over stock output without the ECU tune, as well.
Thanks for your reply Chubbs878... The key word I left out my previous post was... find one 'locally'. Also, having my truck out of commission for weeks (or months?) while waiting for an ECU upgrade from across the pond is not an option for me.

Anyway, if you do have your ECU upgraded please post the results. Having owned my 2004 DII since it was new I've never gotten any better than 13-14 MPG. Whether it's loaded down with camping gear, bags of concrete or empty... city or highway driving it's always the same.

One the other hand, I didn't buy the DII for it's gas mileage :wink

Regards...
Thom

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for your reply Chubbs878... The key word I left out my previous post was... find one 'locally'. Also, having my truck out of commission for weeks (or months?) while waiting for an ECU upgrade from across the pond is not an option for me.

Anyway, if you do have your ECU upgraded please post the results. Having owned my 2004 DII since it was new I've never gotten any better than 13-14 MPG. Whether it's loaded down with camping gear, bags of concrete or empty... city or highway driving it's always the same.

One the other hand, I didn't buy the DII for it's gas mileage :wink

Regards...
Thom
there is another business out of Cali that does this as well. Can't remember the name.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.