Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys first post here, awesome community!

Here is my problem, 3 months ago I bought my dream truck (a land rover discovery 2004) with about 112 000 miles on it and runs perfectly fine. Since I bought it, my rover and I started playing a little game, he makes a new noise and I try to fix it, so far I was able to fix a few things but for this one I might need your help. I know there is a lot of info about knocking engine but I have not found any similar to mine. Here are the clues that I have:
-Knocking starts when hot
-Knocking frequency rise and suddenly stops at above 1200 RPMs
-Noise is comming from uder (transmission/ transfer case area)
-Fades and stops when I put the truck in park
-I have a ultra gauge and temps never went above 212F since I’ve had it, it runs at around 204F most of the time.
-Only errors codes I get is from bad O2 sensors (all 4 will get changed in a week)
-Transfer case oil was overfilled by previous owner or transmission oil is leaking in my transfer case (had 4L in it instead of 2,1L) oil was changed 2 days ago and noise is still there
-Transmission fluid looks good and the level is spot on (I did not change it yet)
-All modes work great (4H, 4L, diff lock H and diff lock L)

I have read about the flex plate breaking and making similar noise, for now that’s what I am thinking but I do not feel rough shifthing (maybe comes from my lack of experience with discos). Also a bad bearing between the t-case and tranny would explain the noise and the overfilled t-case but again not certain since the transmission fluid is not low, thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
180 Posts
Can you post a video of the noise?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hope this helps but what fixed a similar sounding knock on my 2003 was lowering the operating temp. I did this by putting in the gray colored 180 degree thermostat.

I have no idea why this completely eliminated the knock, and no idea if whatever problem there was, is still there but lowering the operating temp and a year later, never once heard the sound again.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope this helps but what fixed a similar sounding knock on my 2003 was lowering the operating temp. I did this by putting in the gray colored 180 degree thermostat.

I have no idea why this completely eliminated the knock, and no idea if whatever problem there was, is still there but lowering the operating temp and a year later, never once heard the sound again.

Hope this helps!

View attachment 93608
I ordered a inline thermostat to bring my temperature down as much as possible, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hope this helps!

View attachment 93608
Keeps the oil a little thicker and the pressure up?
I have the same noise and have everything to roll-in all new bearings, replace the
oil pump, complete change of cooling system. I'll install the TStat first and see if it works like you.

·
very disco
2,696 Posts
I never beat the tick on one of my old D2s, but I did beat the tick on my RRC by upping the oil viscosity.

changing the tstat tho… that doesn’t affect your normal operating temp, it affects how soon you get to normal operating temp. Could slowing the warmup of your engine have resulted in the tick-fix somehow?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 1999 D2 has been making this noise like forever. Changing from 5W30 to 10W40 oil might have reduced the noise a little bit but it is still there. Can't really hear it with windows up so it is not bothering me. I think I am just going to leave it unless there is a definite solution from you guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts