Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have known for a while now I should change out the injectors.

Last night, I changed out the plugs from Bosch 4+ back to NGKs. While doing so, I pulled one plug and noticed a very strong fuel smell. I actually let her sit for a couple of hours before I started working to let it cool. I am afraid I have an injector leaking down.

I am part happy and part aggrevated but maybe this is the real reason behind some hard starts and occasional rough idle issue I keep blaming on the IACV.. yippee

Going to order a set of Bosch injectors from FiveOMotors.

Anyone have some handy advise on tackling this job? I can do it the hard way... live and learn... I rather learn the tricks from you guys.

I guess I have do a lot of disassembling to get to that fuel line and pull those injectors... no way around that is there???

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Before you tear the injectors out, I would suggest you do a fuel pressure test, make sure you are bleeding down. Also another thing that could cause that to happen is a failing fuel pump, which can bleed down that will also cause a hard starting problem.
If you decide to do the injectors, make sure you change out the fuel filter first so you don't dirty up those new brand new injectors.
Mike J.

· MG
714 Posts
The other thing that can give your plugs and oil (check that, too!) a heavy smell of fuel would be bad timing or, as it happened to me, improperly routed ht leads from the distributor. I would imagine that the timing and proper sequencing of the wires may also give you hard start and idle problems...

Good luck!

· Registered
17 Posts
Injectors

When removing the rail goes easy on it.I would recommend removing the upper plenum and velocity stack plenum. I would also remove the injector clips and the four nuts that hold the rail down and gently prying the rail up a little bit at a time alternating on each corner of the rail.Some injectors might stay in the manifold and some may stay in the rail. After the rail is removed you can deal with the injectors. Always use new o-rings and gently install all the injectors and put the clips back. I would also test the injectors before installing the rail by cycling the key and viewing for seal leaks.
Could you tell me what type of injectors you are ordering from FiveOMotors ?
I want to order a set also.
Take care,Good luck.

· Banned
907 Posts
I'd just have your stock ones rebuilt. Mose diesel shops do this for about 10.00 each (clean, new seals, etc...) Just makes for a long repair.

If your interested, I can send you a set of injectors, and you can mail them off to be rebuilt. Then, just mail me back your old injectors....Might save you a few bucks....

· Registered
92 Posts
rebuilding ?

I seen a web site ( in NY) they will rebuild the old ones and test them than send them back via mail..

prices were like $ 15.95 each + 4.95 testing
I don't remember the name sorry.

hank that's good to know I will have to check that out..

· Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TRAILCHARGER said:
Could you tell me what type of injectors you are ordering from FiveOMotors ?
I want to order a set also.
Take care,Good luck.

They are the 22lb Bosch type II injectors (purple or pink tops) I can not tell the difference by looking on the monitor. They list for 289.00 for a set of eight... NEW ZERO MILES

I see the exact injector same model number... same rate and flow, for the corvette listing for around 200.00 (All on FiveO's web site). Not sure why other than anything for a Land Rover deserves a fat mark up. I worry about picking up the other injector because they may call me on it come any warranty claims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.