Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use a little advice for installing the front axle seal in my D2.
I bought a couple of seals from Atlantic British and I have been unable to get this thing in there straight.

I put the seals in the freezer overnight to contract the metal ( I often do this with my seals). I lubricated the seal and the hub, but I have had no luck tapping it in. It looks like the tolerances are off and that the hub seat is just too small for that particular seal.

I have a special tool that I use for tapping in seals. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would call a dealer and see what the oem number is and then cross reference with the brand of the aftermarket and see if you got the correct seal.

Mike Russell

Age 20

2003 discovery se

Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
233 Posts
I could use a little advice for installing the front axle seal in my D2.
I bought a couple of seals from Atlantic British and I have been unable to get this thing in there straight.

I put the seals in the freezer overnight to contract the metal ( I often do this with my seals). I lubricated the seal and the hub, but I have had no luck tapping it in. It looks like the tolerances are off and that the hub seat is just too small for that particular seal.

I have a special tool that I use for tapping in seals. Any help is appreciated.
You need the genuine part FTC4822
No aftermarket Eurospare, BritPart, etc. genuine part FTC4822. There are threads on every LR website in regards to aftermarket seals that don't fit the axle housing, or won't fit the half shaft, and if the seal does fit then it leaks. Sorry about your luck
I believe AB has that gold/brown colored seal. Somebody in Australia or UK posted the other day asking if others had probs with it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
even the dealer ones are junk these days. not sure what the answer is, but when i buy seals these days i always buy and extra one in expectation of it's eminent failure

·
Registered
233 Posts
even the dealer ones are junk these days. not sure what the answer is, but when i buy seals these days i always buy and extra one in expectation of it's eminent failure
Yes. Exactly.

I spent a whole weekend and considerable resources replacing the ball joints last year. Steering and then tracking when hitting bumps got sloppy. Lower BJ has already faulted. Now I have to do it all over again this weekend!

On top of that, I ordered a set of genuines on EBay and when they came in, the unit for the upper is completely seized and won't even move. Opposite end of the spectrum unit for the lower moves almost near-freely! I can move it through the whole range of motion with minimal effort. Seller told me that they had been sitting on the shelf since purchased as only one side was done and units don't show any signs of use or abuse as would be expected for install/removal but they are absolute ****. Those pink and green "genuine" bands on the grease boot don't mean much any more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I have yet another front seal failure (OEM seal), although it is not leaking as much as the Britcrap seal which completely failed. Any ideas of how to get this front seal to install and work correctly?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
It's a real mess with these seals, somebody made a mistake at a point and mixed up something cos not even genuine LRs would fit anymore, i had to get rectified mudshields as to fit the seals after a dozen failed on me in no time... from other forum's feedback it seems that only those branded NAK might do the job none others.... a nightmare, if you have patience read this whole thread starting from page 2: Ashcroft HD CV shafts and front diff seals - leaking? - Australian Land Rover Owners

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.