Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all from Adam in NYC :drive:

I want to replace the aging Pioneer/LandRover factory radio with a Blaupunkt that will let me plug in my iPod. I have a 1996 Discovery 1 with the CD changer and subwoofer in the back door.

Anyone know where I can get the wiring harness for the 1996 Disco 1? I read elsewhere that the harness for a VW Jetta would do. Does that jive with a Disco I or only for a Disco II ??

Adam (it was snowing and now it is just frigid).

By the way, I love my Disco. :D It handled the black ice like a charm going to work last night. Seems that the local bridges froze over before the rest of the roads did and we had major demolition derby here in the Northeast.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A word of caution: New car stereos use what is called a 'floating ground'
or stated better, the negative side of the speaker wires are NOT the
chassis ground like they were in older cars. One cannot be assured that the
LR harness is directly compatible with the new radio.

I just installed a Sanyo deck in my '96 Discovery-I and chose to add all
my own wiring. This was a PITA but I did not destroy my deck with an
assumption. I could NOT use the sub in the rear door, as it was designed,
because of this same problem and because that is a powered sub and the
impedance match is all wrong. You know, just like how BMWs with the BOSE
systems can't be directly retrofitted. I ended up putting an amp and two
aftermarket subwoofers in the rear door and running the system like a fully
aftermarket setup. The dude sounds good but it was far from a simple
plug-n-play fit.

More details any time you want them. We gotta help one another out!

regards, Rick / Tulsa, OK

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info....

I read it somewhere and you just reminded me, thank you.

If anyone has made anything to connect the iPod to the factory sound system instead of the Cd changer, please let me and the thread know, thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2003 Discovery and would love to know how to hook up my ipod to the factory stereo. Does anyone know who makes the stereo for the 2003 Discovery S?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The little $130 Sanyo I installed in my S-I has an 'AUX' jack on the front panel for IPODs or whatever. I use mine for my hand-held 2m amateur radio. I considered a fancy deck but given that my D-I is noisy anyway, I chose a cheap-ish option instead. $130 at Wal-Mart. When the ignition is off, the
face turn around to present a blank panel.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...44&path=0:3944:3947:96481:14632&xsell=3182493

Rick / no connection to Wal-Mart or Sanyo ...especially Wal-Mart! :-o

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regarding Noise and iPods....

If you use your LandRover for street use, you might want to purchase quieter tires. Many tire vendors like Pilleri (sic) mention attributes like tire noise in their catalogues.

If you mean noise like electrical noise, good grounding at the receiving antenna end (like using grounding straps for your hood/bonnet and passenger fender) will help immensely with transmitted electrical noise. Make sure you also put electrical filters on the power leads on all your audio gear. Try to ground all to the same place and beware of ground loops.

If that does not help, books like the ARRL handbook and their EMC book have excellent sections on removal of alternator and ignition noise. The majority of the noise generated by my Disco is from my ignition system. BTW, I love 8.5mm or 9mm wires on my engines. Blast that carbon away.

As for iPods, variable analog audio outputs are available from the large narrow power/transfer connector on the bottom of the iPod as well as the top earphone jack. I am using the Monster cable cassette adapter and the wired remote with my stock radio. This adapter is one of the few that allows you to reroute the audio cable for those side loading cassette decks. Besides cheaper,The white Belkin cassette adapter does not work in my factory Pioneer/LR radio.

If you want to make your own dock, you could start with that white iPod stand which has 1/8" stereo jack on the rear and would also allow the internal battery to be charged. Try to get it with the iPod, as the stand is quite expensive ($30.00). It would be perfect inside of the middle box between the front seats.

I am thinking of just putting all my new gear inside there and just leave the stock radio in the dash. Just waiting for the weather to cooperate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks Adam,
No, my Discovery-I is noisy just because it is noisy (ambient noise) and Tulsa's streets are full of pot holes and uneven pavement. My D-I is my daily driver and as such, it is more of a commuter vehicle than anything else. I really enjoy it but I don't get to enjoy it as it was designed.

I have Khumo tires on the beast and they don't whine too much. The drive-line makes its usual noises. The radio exhibits no RFI at all. Nice and clean. Engine sounds great.

Then again, everything is relative. My other daily driver is a BMW 740iL. Dead silent.

Thanks for all the good ideas and suggestions!

rick

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks but...

lastsaturday said:
I am looking for a true audiophile solution without hearing strong FM radio stations trying to blast over the iPod FM modulator. I am looking for a direct audio path straight to the electronics of the sound system.

BTW, the iTrip sucks. If you are using one, try either the cassette adapter or if you insist, use the fancy one with the digital frequency output. It just works better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can't help but smile when I read, "A true audiophile solution". Let's not forget, this thing is a TRUCK. No, I'm not flaming you but the smile comes from my other passion; Ferrari. I have friends with $3000 stereos in their Ferraris. They sound GREAT ...until you start the car! They then sound like Ferraris contaminated by radio noise. My Ferrari makes Ferrari noises, only. My Discovery makes truck noises with an overtone of NPR. :-o

Enjoy your hobby! :-]

rick

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Rick Lindsay said:
I can't help but smile when I read, "A true audiophile solution". Let's not forget, this thing is a TRUCK. No, I'm not flaming you but the smile comes from my other passion; Ferrari. I have friends with $3000 stereos in their Ferraris. They sound GREAT ...until you start the car! They then sound like Ferraris contaminated by radio noise. My Ferrari makes Ferrari noises, only. My Discovery makes truck noises with an overtone of NPR. :-o

Enjoy your hobby! :-]

rick
When I purchased the iPod, It was not for the cute Apple or high cool Geek factor. I had prior to it the first Creative 10 Ghz MP3 player/recorder, two Digisette MP3 players that are in the compact cassette form factor, and a Seimens S46 telephone with the MP3 player. All do a excellent job until the iPod.

Then I tried out the iPod. The reproduction with my own MP3s were the best I ever heard. The Wolfgang chip used in the iPod is the best out there in reconstruction of MP3s.

The factory Pioneer radio (FM/AM/Weather) has lousy audio response on its radio. I have had prior products from Pioneer, and this is the worst. The internal cassette player is a great product. I replaced and realigned the azimuth on the magnetic heads myself. When was the last time you heard someone do that?

In any case, Get the Monster Cable cassette adapter and the stereo kicks major butt in all genres including latin, jazz, rock, and classical music. Those tweeters in the A pillar were a nice touch.

I tried THREE of those RF modulators, BTW, that used that same lousy RF modulator chip. One has the stereo channels connected out-of-phase. I do a lot of driving and listen to a lot of music. It sucks when some unwanted RF goes in and destroys a great song.

I want faithful reproduction. You can do it in any environment. I have seen and heard planar speakers on a DVD player owned by a returning soldier from Iraq.He played a movie in my office and it sounded like I was in the movie. It can and has been done. There is great equipment and excellent execution in sound installation. Who did the work in those Ferraris?

My Discovery is not Loud. My old 1997 Mitsu Mirage was louder.

My car is my ride, not a hobby. My music is my passion. My hobby is everything else.

BTW, Enjoy your Ferrari.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The later sound systems are made by Harmon Kardon, which leaves us very little option for replacement upgrades. The cheapest easiest way to get and alternate source to the system is with an old radio shack tape deck adaptor. I used to have one lying around here somewhere. It has what appears to be an audio cassette tape with a wire connector to a mini stereo jack. Slip the tape thingy into the cassette deck and hook up the minjack to whatever device and instant adaptor. Now if I could just find that damn thing. Maybe they still sell them?

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few more suggestions....

In Walmart, they sell one of the best engineered ones by Phillips. The wire can be rerouted using a coin rather than taking apart the little cassette with a Phillips.

The MonsterCable cassette adapter is great too,just don't drop it. The white Belkin one is a piece of junk. The Tandy RadioShack is workable but the heads do something to the sound, maybe they use heads with a capacitor in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A little off topic , but does ne1 know the EXACT SIZES of the speaker components in a 02 LRD? :bgreen: Any help would be appreciated?

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about a photo of what you are talking about....

Slippo said:
A little off topic , but does ne1 know the EXACT SIZES of the speaker components in a 02 LRD? :bgreen: Any help would be appreciated?
Got a photo of what you are asking about ? :wave:

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I mean by the "02 LRD" is , its a 2002 Land Rover Discovery ..Just needing to know the size of the speakers on the doors and what size are the subs in the back door? (I think the tweeter mounted on the pillars up front are 1") Just need help with the rest?

·
Registered
31 Posts
FM Radio Transmitter for Ipod

Hey Guys,
I wanted to install a new radio/ cd deck into my 03 disco, but decided to buy an ipod and an FM radio transmitter. You can get them for 30-70 dollars at Bestbuy/American/Circuit city, and it plugs into the headphone jack of your ipod. It is maybe one inch by 2 inches, and it allows you to scan to an unused fm radio station. You then tune your car radio to that station, and it will broadcast your ipod songs over the radio!! IT IS AMAZING. I use it in the car, in my home stereo, everywhere. Some come with preset channels, and are cheaper, but if thosestations are used in your area, you're kinda out of luck. I recommend it for sure! Belkin brand is good, Apple also makes one. Amazing.
Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts