Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of installing an aftermarket CD/MP3 deck in my Disco but want to hear others experiences.

The only reason I'm concerned b/c on my last car all of my electrical "gremlins" started when I swapped out the factory deck.

Any hints/tips are appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I've done it twice on different Disco's. To avoid complications of trying to transplant aftermarket equipment to existing sound system, you need to change out the lot if you want a decent setup. You haven't mentioned what year model Discovery you have. Anyway, here's what you need. Mp3/CD head unit. Rip out stock speakers and install good aftermarket ones. 2 x tweeters, can be installed in door or A pillars. Some Discovery's came with factory tweeter fitted to the A pillar. If you don't have them in yours, get the A pillar 'covers' that have them fitted from LR. Rip out the stock tweeters and fit the aftermarket ones. Get a couple of AMPS. One to drive the mids and the other to run the woofer/s. Rewire the whole system; do not use the factory wiring, this way you won't cut into or wire into anything that will cause you grief, besides the wires you lay are a better bet. With regards to the amps, you could fit them under the seats, and the crossovers can be fitted to the 'kick' panel on the passengers side.
Hope this helps.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Hmmm? I'm not sure how that will work especially if your looking to have a separate CD deck. Mine is a JVC mp3 with a slot for single disks only, but since you can compress 100+ tracks per disk it's all I need. If you are not intending to fit a separate CD unit, you shouldn't have any problems.

· Registered
42 Posts
I have swapped stereo systems a few times in various vehicles. The most problems I had was with the system I installed myself. No problems with systems installed by the specialty store I bought the last stereo from.

My new to me landrover has a system installed by the specialty store where the previous owner bought it. Only problem I "think" I have is that the AM/FM reception is not the best. The stereo seems to be a high quality disc player with very good sound (to my old ears anyway) and a so-so AM/FM receiver. All the speakers described in another reply here are installed in mine and work fine. I don't know if the wiring and speakers were replaced when the previous owner had the stereo installed.
I won't really know how good or bad the reception is untill I head up to Radium BC area for the long weekend. But the reception downtown Calgary is a disappointment.

Ed

· Registered
51 Posts
myhomescape.com said:
I'm thinking of installing an aftermarket CD/MP3 deck in my Disco but want to hear others experiences.

The only reason I'm concerned b/c on my last car all of my electrical "gremlins" started when I swapped out the factory deck.

Any hints/tips are appreciated.

Thanks
I put a CD/mp3 player head into my 94 with great success. I had the 5 cd changer under the seat and the standard LR cassette head. The trick was to have a replacement head unit with sub woofer outs, mine had RCA plugs for front and rear, left and right, so 4 in all. I soldered RCA plugs onto the speaker wires, one RCA plug for each speaker (pink plug on mine - CON.C below). Matched up the power wires with the the wires leading to the grey plug (CON.A below) and spliced and soldered.

I was astounded at the improvement in sound quality. It seems the amps and speakers on LR are decent for what they are, it is the head unit that sucks something horrible. I now have replaced the rear speakers with Kenwood 4" because I had them already, the front speaker clearance requires a very thin speaker so those remain stock for now. My advise would be to change the head ASAP, the improvement in sound quality has to be heard to be believed. I also now have space for 40's under the drivers seat :) Funny, that massive device to hold about 75 songs. Technology :drink1:

I have documentation and pics of my stereo exchange, contact me if you want more details.

Here is the wiring layout, very helpful:

· Registered
720 Posts
Wait a moment Myhomescape.com! What are you trying to achieve here? Do you just want to improve on the factory unit's ability to play more music or are you trying to get a much better quality of sound. On our 96 Disco, the sound is OK providing we aren't doing 100+ kph on the highway. At any good speed the droning from the tires takes over... Normally we don't drive fast for long and the existing stereo is adequate. Now to my point - we use an Apple iPod that sends a signal to the stereo in two ways. Either we use the cassette style hook up with a wire sticking out of the cassette slot going to the iPod or we use an FM 'hookup' which works well also. The advantage of the iPod is that you don't touch the electrics of the Rover and there is no new/fancy aftermarket stereo to tempt the crooks. The disadvantage, of course, is that you have to buy an iPod ($250 Can and up) and have a compatible computer. The hookup 'kit' costs $30 - $40 Can. All in all, we are happy with the iPod route, no buggering around with electrics, great portability and relative low cost.

· Registered
51 Posts
Pavel, you are right, there are easier ways to get mp3's to play. But with regards to sound quality, replacing the head is huge. Volume, clarity, punchyness - the sound in my truck went from crap to excellent. I think LR must have spec'ed the wrong head, the difference is that noticable. My amps definately needed to be driven a lot harder to perform properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.