Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be installing an oil pressure gauge since I'm starting to hear a slight tapping noise when it's cold in the morning. I have a few questions...

1). Where is the stock bolt located that I need to remove?

2). Will this adapter work? (Sensor Adapter Oil Water Pressure Temp M20X1 5 1 8 NPT | eBay)

3). Can I just install the sensor right into the adapter (not needing a steel line)?

4). (Maybe a dumb question)... Do I need to drain any oil before removing the bolt??

Thank you everyone!

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
1. If you have an oil cooler your only option is the M12x1.5 hole next to the OEM oil switch. This is the hole that LR intended specifically for oil pressure testing. If you don't have an oil cooler you'll also have the option to use the M20x1.5 hole that is plugged on the non-cooler D2s. All the bolts you need are located on the timing cover.

2. Yes, for the larger oil cooler holes. You can use this one Amazon.com: Auto Meter 2277 Metric Adapter/Electric Temperature: Automotive for the smaller testing hole. Do NOT overtighten - the adapter is brass and will shear in half. Ask me how I know.

3. Not sure what you mean by "steel line". If you're installing an electric gauge then the sensor will just have an wired connection that you have to hook up. If you're using a handheld analog gauge it'll come with the hard line.

4. If your engine is cold, no, you don't have to drain the oil. The hole locations are above the oil level in the pan. You might get some residual seepage, but nothing serious.

Your pressure readings should be:

Cold Idle: 50 PSI
Cold 2K RPM: 50 PSI
Hot Idle: 10+ PSI
Hot 2K RPM: 40+ PSI

Those are pretty much rock bottom numbers. Anything below that and you'll have issues. My own D2 reads 52 PSI cold, 14 PSI Hot Idle, 47 PSI Hot 2K RPM.

I've recently installed this gauge and I love it. The digital/analog combo is super useful for getting accurate readings, install is a snap too.

MaxTow Oil Pressure Gauge : Amazon.com : Automotive

A tick when cold could likely be a sticky lifter - oil pressure testing wouldn't help diagnose this. A fresh oil change with quality oil (Rotella T6 or Mobil 1) with a little Marvel Mystery Oil helped free up one of my sticky lifters - no noise after two months and 1000 miles.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and information. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out! How do I determine if I have an oil cooler? Is there a specific section / page in the RAVE that would show me where these bolts are located?

·
Registered
83 Posts
RWilson,

I know many have done this one. I put together a list of the two different types I have done, along with some links to others over on the website.

Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge (Rev. 1 and 2) |

Check it out, let us know if you have questions...

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
I don't have the oil cooler so what I did is I removed the 20 mm plug that blocks the upper oil cooler tap on the timing cover, drilled it with a 11/32" dia. bit, and cut 1/8" NPT threads in the hole.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the adapter for the M12 smaller testing hole. Can someone tell me where it's located? If it's the hole located above the oil filter and currently used for the oil light sensor, that means I have to get a tee as well...

I'm hoping there is another M12 testing hole that currently only has a plug in it that I can go right into :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.