Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There appears to be quite a divide in which Landrovers we all own on either side of the Atlantic. Over here in the UK, there are lots of 90s 110s and Series Landrovers and over there in the US there seems to be more high end Landrovers such as V8 Discos and Range Rovers. Not too sure why this is.

Has it got something to do with which vehicles were available where?

Or is it that Landrovers are relatively expensive in the States and as a result, they tend to be bought instead of other luxury cars? As more of a Status symbol perhaps?

I have also noticed that the work that Landrover owners do, on the whole, is different on either side of the pond. In the UK, There are lots of unemployed and limited income people who run around in old Landrovers but in the US, you all appear to be professional of some sort. pilots, doctors and the like. Again perhaps this is caused by the cost of Landrover ownership in America.

This post is not meant to offend anyone, its just an observation that I have made and I just wondered about the reasons.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Damnit, I wish I could be an unemployed Series driving slacker. :D

Yup, here in the US, Rovers tend to status symbol driven by soccer mums or middle to upper class people - at least the newer Rovers. But if it wasn't for them, guys like me wouldn't have used ones to mod and have fun with. But for the most part I agree with you. I wish more Series Rovers were available here in the States. I would love to have one (or two) as a daily driver. Wait a second...as a daily driver...make that three. LOL!

:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Rebuttal........

In one of the my Discovery books, the beginning talks of the start of The Rover Group as starting due to the original owner of a war surplus Jeep who used it primarily at his farm. When the vehicle was beginning to wear out more and more, there were no other available machinery to replace in.

He set out to make his own and the Land Rover was born, or made. That is a very abridged history , however. I do not claim to be a Land Rover historian, just a proud owner.

The United Kingdom is the birthplace of the Land Rover. As the homeland of Land Rover, it is only normal to see more of the more mature models out in the field. There are quite a few Land Rovers, both in the US and the UK, as well as around the world, some you can see in evidence on the auction sites on the Internet.

Personally,I had always wanted to fill a void with a tough vehicle along the lines of the Defender, but I ended up with a Discovery. Hopefully, I will either meet up with a expierenced mechanic to solve most of my minor problems or learn enough to fix the problems that I can keep my investment roadworthy for the next couple of years.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
It's a pretty simple issue, really---North American Spec Defenders were only available for several years. That means the number of road-worthy used vehicles is very small, and hence you don't see many of them in most parts of the country. There are, however, pockets of high Defender density,,, Colorado being one of them. But even that is a fairly small number relative to built-up Jeeps, 'Yotas, etc. Even in a state like CO where you'll see a 1/2 dozen built-up rigs just on the way to work, Defenders are a comparative rarity.

You see more Discos & Rangies because that's what there's more of. Supply & demand keep the Discos & classic Rangies fairly cheap relative to Defenders. In fact a friend of mine just bought a mechanically sound and well-maintained '90 RRC for $2600. The fact that Brits drive on the wrong side of the road :D and hence the steering wheel's on the wrong side of the truck :D mean that few used Defenders (or Series) are imported or purchased privately for shipment across the pond. Therefore, the total pool of available Defenders is actually shrinking in the US & you are likely to see fewer & fewer over the coming years.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
I think this is a case where the all opinions expressed thus far are partially right to an extent. Rather, combined, they give a more accurate picture of the development of the Rover market in the US vs. England. As much as we want LR to stick to the original formula of a pure offroad vehicle, business is business and without operating capital, there is no LR. LR must do what it needs to do to stay afloat. Now that "Found On the Road Dead" owns the LR brand, one can only hope that an economical (meaning something we can afford) way to manufacture a decent offroad vehicle can be developed while maintaining the bottom line. Even though we might not like the phrase "bottom line," it is a reality.

·
Registered
223 Posts
roverX said:
Damnit, I wish I could be an unemployed Series driving slacker. :D

Yup, here in the US, Rovers tend to status symbol driven by soccer mums or middle to upper class people - at least the newer Rovers. But if it wasn't for them, guys like me wouldn't have used ones to mod and have fun with. But for the most part I agree with you. I wish more Series Rovers were available here in the States. I would love to have one (or two) as a daily driver. Wait a second...as a daily driver...make that three. LOL!

:lol:
Is that one on the road, one in the garage and one being fixed?

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
I'd L-O-V-E to have a 109!!! There are just so few of them around here! A good 109" will fetch $15k in the US, it's insane. Disco's and RRC are aplenty..

I found a Defender County about 1/2 mile from my house... parked in some guys driveway. I drive past his house all the time on the way to my :boobies: (girlfriends) house . Just noticed it there a few days ago.. stopped today to ask if it was for sale (that's how I bought the XD) as the garage was open. No one answered the door. It appeared to be a work in progress, overhead cubby was all down with wires all over the place..

I would love one of those... it would be a good replacement for the XD... anyone wanna buy a super nice XD?? :D

Serg

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Serg said:
I would love one of those... it would be a good replacement for the XD... anyone wanna buy a super nice XD?? :D

Serg
I remember when you got the XD, you were bemoaning the fact that it was a step down in luxury from the RRC, and that you missed the classic. There isn't enough bandwidth to allow you to allow you the moaning when you sell the XD for a Defender.

A Defender with an overhead cubby? How gross is that?

The last 109 I had, maybe 2 years ago, was a reasonably presentable marine blue respray ( I hate the lazy bastards that can't even take the time to mask the galvanized cappings)It needed a new rear crossmember, I'm embarrassed to say I only paid $3k for it. Even more embarrassed to say I sold it for $4500. WooHoo, $1500, that'll buy a leather bustier, or beer for a month for some of you derelicts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm..

Interesting points. Are the Freelander and Defender available in the US at present? If it isn't, its a shame for you people as the latest Defenders are superb.

"Found On the Road Dead"
LOL :D I like that!

Seriousely though, I was pretty pleased when Ford took the helm at Landrover. They have done great things at Jaguar and Aston Martin. Both these companies now have the financial clout to develop fantastic new models and Ford are pushing the build quality up. The new Jaguar XJ V8 came top in the UK JD power survey and is still hovering around the top ten. Anyone who ever owned a 1990s XJ40 will understand what an achievement this is. Aston Martin now produces some of the most beautiful cars on the planet, have you seen the DB9?!.

This type of brand improvement is now taking place at Landrover with the release of the Discovery 3 (LR3) and to certain extent the latest Range Rover. The LR3 especially is winning awards all over the place here in the UK. Deservedly so-its a great vehicle combining everything I could ever want in a car into one well designed package. I just wish I could pony up the 30 odd grand to buy one!

I read somewhere that Ford are now turning their attention to the Defender in order to pull up build quality and decrease build costs-no bad thing, I say!

As for the lack of Series vehicles over in the US, beleive me, if I could find a cheap way of shipping them, I would be sending boat loads over! I can buy good roadworthy examples for less than £1000 ($1760) over here. Mine only cost me £650 ($1140) and from what I've been told I could sell it for ten times that in the States! :eek:

Damnit, I wish I could be an unemployed Series driving slacker
I think I was over generalising a bit there but it is true that Series vehicles are super cheap to buy, fix and insure over here so you get a lot of car for your money.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Terry,

I am not upset with the lack of luxury. Heck EVERYTHING on the XD works, which is more than I can say for either RRC I owned. I miss the grunt of the 4.2 and I think overall the RRC is a tougher looking vehicle.

Also the XD is so nice and clean, I won't take it anywhere it might get damaged or scratched. I think I am over the whole Disco thing... I tried it, and I think I like the RRC's more.

So now to clean up the XD and let the torrential flow of "I will send you a cashier check" emails start... :eek:

Serg

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Um..Serg..the checks in the mail.. :D

But seriously...Cerberus...you may come in handy later when I have the cash to get a series vehicle. :drink1: Besides, I've always wanted to go to a Manchester United football game :buttrock:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But seriously...Cerberus...you may come in handy later when I have the cash to get a series vehicle. Besides, I've always wanted to go to a Manchester United football game
No problem-I would be happy to help.

As for the Manchester United game-footballs not really my thing. Motorsport on the other hand......The British Touring Car championship is entertaining. Its supposed to be a non contact form of motorsport but the bodyshop boys have plenty to do after every race! Very close racing in cars not that far removed from street cars. Or what about rallying? Imagine blasting down a dirt track not much wider than your car at speed in excess of 100mph! In snow!:rellye

Incidentally, If anyone is planning a trip to the UK and end up in the Midlands area, I would happily take them out off roading in the beautiful Peak District.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Hey guys.....while I must admit that many new RR are driving as a status symbol, and never see any off-road action. They same could be said for the Disco and Defender (when available new) and now the LR3, as a matter of fact almost EVERY LR ever made has been a relatively expensive truck.
Here in the US most families are 2 income families with a good deal of discretionary money, people lease trucks for 2-3 years and there is a lot of relatively new trucks on the used car market. Young guys can pick up great trucks at good prices. To find a good old series truck in my area would take a good search and would probably cost more to bring it up to the same condition.
The other issue is taxes, currently I have 2 british cars and my friends overseas say the end cost is notably more for the same cars bought there due to the tax burden.

Sorry to be such a blowhard .....but you asked.
PS. All of my LR's have seen mud, sand and water from day 1.....lol

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Cerberus said:
No problem-I would be happy to help.

As for the Manchester United game-footballs not really my thing. Motorsport on the other hand......The British Touring Car championship is entertaining. Its supposed to be a non contact form of motorsport but the bodyshop boys have plenty to do after every race! Very close racing in cars not that far removed from street cars. Or what about rallying? Imagine blasting down a dirt track not much wider than your car at speed in excess of 100mph! In snow!:rellye

Incidentally, If anyone is planning a trip to the UK and end up in the Midlands area, I would happily take them out off roading in the beautiful Peak District.
I will be in the Bakewell/Chatsworth area Bank holiday week.I would love to know where some cool trails are around there!!!The Peak District is one of my most favorite spots on earth!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will be in the Bakewell/Chatsworth area Bank holiday week.I would love to know where some cool trails are around there!!!The Peak District is one of my most favorite spots on earth!!!
I'll probably be at the LROI show in Malvern over the weekend of the 28th/29th so I don't think I will be doing any Laning that weekend. I will have to see nearer the time.

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
Cerberus said:
I'll probably be at the LROI show in Malvern over the weekend of the 28th/29th so I don't think I will be doing any Laning that weekend. I will have to see nearer the time.
Have just come from the Billing show and loved it. Is the LROI show as large?Was thinking about going just to hit the off road course.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yeah.. people here in the US will buy anything expensive.

yup, we buy all this crap. Toyota drops a badge called lexus on a toyota , call it high end and poof, extra 10k.. same with nissan/inifinity, honda/acura, etc etc. I know that does not speak to what you mention, but I had to vent...

Amongst the well to do here there is a percentage that embrace the uber-ulitarian-chic. They more often than not like to restore things and mimic countryside folk in the UK. They buy a house on the water or in the mountains, spend $100k restoring old Series Rovers and poo poo anyone who has "other" Rovers.

On the other hand.. there are others here in the US that are a prime target for a name brand or high end label anything at any cost. Slaves to a name. Burberry's, Starbucks, Prada and a Rover to let the nanny use to truck the kids around in. Stainless steel fridge, granite countertops, cherry cabinets and a deck outside made of mahogany.

When I got my RRC, I ripped out the backseat, the carpeting, tossed in my tools and trash , pulled out the AC and have holes in the floors...and still I never get an odd look when I am at the country club or ski resort.. so many people associate that car with status that they never question it.

I sold my mercedes 400e with 160k mi on it, thing was beat.. same thing.. never questioned. I bought a WRX subaru, because it is better in the snow and all I get now is "can I help you sir?"

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
just some more info from my neck o' the woods, cerberus. my area (California -- i work in San Jose and live in Santa Cruz) is loaded with people who are loaded. there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of Discos (1's, 2's and now 3's) and tons of new and old RR's. not too many Defenders and very, very few Series vehicles of any sort/year. there is NO question that the majority of folks buy LR's for status. i'd say less than 10% ever use them for what they are intended. it's all about the bling around here.

LR3's start at $45K and the local dealer had sold their full allotment of new vehicles before one ever hit the lot. the new RR starts at $75K (probably more). an '04 DII fetches $35K-40K.

i bought my '97 D90 SW (which i believe is 1 of about 200 in the US in that color from that year) for $37K in '02 and could sell for about that now (it's only got 40K on the clock). i've never seen another one like it in three years. most people have no idea what i'm driving, including the vast majority of other LR drivers. i see about 1 Defender a week, usually a soft-top and NEVER dirty - usually college-aged kids.

the most common 4x4s are jeeps and yotas, but there are a lot of guys buying new full-size Ford or Chev/GMC trucks and tricking them out. there are some at the dealer that are already modified and they are selling for $45-50K plus.
it's f'in crazy!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have just come from the Billing show and loved it. Is the LROI show as large?Was thinking about going just to hit the off road course.
I went last year and it was a good day out. Its a great place to pick up odds and sods for the Landrover.

There are people here who buy Landrovers for the "pose value". Particularly new Range Rovers. I've seen a couple knocking around with 22" chrome spinners :pimp: :rolleyes: They seem to be a favourite with footballers at the moment.

Its very easy to pick out the "status symbol" owners: Here in the UK, it is customary for Landrover enthusiasts to give a cheery wave or flash their headlights when they pass another Landrover. If the other person is a true enthusiast, you get a wave or a flash back. If they have just bought it to show off how much cash they have, all you get is a bemused, do I know you?type of look.

I suppose the fact that, as Landrover are made here spares and such like are cheap. this makes them a reasonable cheap option if you want a 4X4. Of course, in America its far cheaper to run a domestic product like a Jeep. Jeep spares cost an arm and a leg over here, as my brother in law is finding out.

He bought a Grand Cherokee as a status symbol just because the next door neighbour could "only" afford a Pajero. Oh how I laughed when I had to go and rescue him in my 26 year old Series which cost less than one of his Alloy wheels. :D :D On three occasions, the complicated electrotrickery has handed in its notice and killed his battery!:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here in memphis LR's are "bling" if you catch my drift.. Rap listeners buy them and trick them out. I dont like the look, but they probably think mine is boring. In any event, it wouldnt even bother me to see a rover with spinners as I know it takes us all to keep the company afloat. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.