Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 00 Disco II with a few cosmetic issues:

1. The headliner is starting to come unattached on both sides near the passenger windows--I forgot to close the sunroof about a year ago :eek: and the interior roof got wet. Nothing until now--the area is not close to an edge where I can tighten it. Also, I live in the south where it gets pretty hot and humid. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to stop it from becoming a real eyesore?!? It's not real bad as of yet however I would like to get it repaired before it falls even more.

2. I have also accidently spilled a cleaning solution called Greased Lightening on the back seat :eek: --this solution promptly took the color off of the beige leather! Does anyone have any advice on how to re-dye the leather to get a close match?

Thanks for any help on these issues :drive:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I'm not sure about the leather problem, however, there is more than likely leather colouring creams available that would match the colour you have.
Your roof lining problem is fairly common, in that the glue used to hold it up begins to deteriate and becomes 'crumbly' with age. It usually comes away near the windscreen, and is made worse by air coming in through your window, however, this is not always the case. Unfortunately, self repairs, short of removing the headlining and having a new one installed, are usually not very successful, though it is worth giving it a try.
You will need some glue, such as the type used in shoe repairs and a syringe. Fill the syringe with the glue and squirt onto the hard surface of the hood the glue in small dabs. Allow this to dry for a minute or two, then press the material to it. This, if it works, is only a short term solution, because the old glue is crumbly and the new glue will eventually come away. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I will say this from experience,no matter how easy a headliner looks like it has been installed or repaired, go ahead and have a professional repair it. It will save you both time and money in the long run. At least have someone experienced in headliner installs present when trying to repair. My repair was done on a '69 mustang and EVERYONE told me to just have a professional do it that it wasnt worth the time and effort to screw it up.

·
Registered
216 Posts
As for the leather, I am sorry to hear about it....im especially cautious with my sunroofs for that reason. To be honest, i doubt there is anything to do short of replacing the seat completley to ensure a correct match.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Headliner... no advise short of purchasing a new one.

Leather, it can be saved. Open up the yellow pages and look for a shop that does leather reconditioning. They can fix the issue for under $200. They can do wonders, my dog put his foot through the back seat in one of my previous Audi's, instead of spending $800 to replace the seat, I had it repaired and it turned out perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know much about the headliner but I have an Audi that had some leather issues and after a little research found a company by the name of Leatherique (I believe its www.leatherique.com). They will match the color, with a small sample of your leather, and send you a dye along with cleaner and conditioner for around $80. The seat you work on will need around 48 hours to dry but is overall a pretty good solution, when comparing the alternatives of either a new seat or re-apholstering. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.