Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

intermitent start.....

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  lighthouse jim 
#1 ·
I have a 98 disco 4.0 with 94k on it. I have changed crank sensor, fuel pump multifunction, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter. yet this thing still has starting issues. after driving a bit it will not restart within 10-30 min. or if you disconnect and reconnect the battery. During this time it does have spark on all plugs. Does anyone have any ideas??

#2 ·
My '96 has this same exact issue. In fact, I'm glad that I'm not the only one because I can't find anything on this in the shop manual or on any of the forums. My only check engine code is for the coolant temp. being too low which would have to do with the coolant temp. sensor. I don't know how it would relate to the starting issue but maybe I'll clean the sensor off and take a look at it and see if I can figure it out.

#6 ·
So crank no fuel?

Next time try lock and unlock drivers door with key, I am thinking alarm issue ESP. Since you got no key fob, also check plug on fuel pump relay and the reset button on firewall look for burnt or corroded

I just keep thinking of this alarm thing they call a spider it is like a secondary alarm that can be bypassed behind the radio but do not recall when it went out of use

Pump could be failing, think there is also a can sensor

#8 ·
I had similar issues with my 98 D1, and followed the same course of repair/replacements. Turned out to be the fuel pump relay. It worked intermittently...grrr. It left me stranded a couple of times, I had it towed to a LR dealer who couldn't fix it because when it rolled off the tow truck the damn thing started. They kept it for a week, and could find no problem. I was dealing with a group of mechanics who would only check for error codes; No error code=no solution. I found another shop.
Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.