Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ABS does it's checks and works when it is supposed to.('98 LSE) Today it came on a couple of times after I went around a (fairly) sharp corner. The light would come on and only reset when the ignition was turned off. After that the checks would go on then the light went out at 5mph. I haven't checked tire pressure today, but they were correct two days ago before taking a 130 mile trip. Can I clean the sensors at the wheels ?? The workshop manual says they must be replaced if removed !! Last weekend I tried to clean most of the crud off the underside using GUNK and then steam cleaning. It didn't lightup until today...been fine all week. Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem ?? Thanks in advance for any info.....

Paul Zwerner

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Paul,
I wouldn't go loosing sleep over it for now, it won't effect your trip.
You may have a dirty sensor, one out alignment or one failing. It will be hard to say until the warning light comes on and stays on.
Mike J.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not worried about the brakes.. I'm used to braking on the track without ABS. I just want to figure out why the lite keeps coming on.. Can I take out the sensors and clean them ??? The brakes work fine otherwise. I've flushed and bleed the system a couple of weeks ago. Just looking for another weekend project... the engine for the race car is not done yet, so I have time on my hands ( dirty !!! )...

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Paul,
Yes you can removed and or reseat the sensors, but depending on what year it is will determine how hard it will be.
Mike J.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cleaned all the abs connections last weekend and set all tire pressures. Today I did everything to get the light to come on after the initial check.. NO LIGHT. I even trail braked into some tight corners, the condition that would cause the light to come on before. There was a 3-4 lb differential from normal on the tire pressures. Would this be enough to throw off the ABS ???
Paul Z.

· Registered
4 Posts
abs light comes oo

pzwerner said:
I cleaned all the abs connections last weekend and set all tire pressures. Today I did everything to get the light to come on after the initial check.. NO LIGHT. I even trail braked into some tight corners, the condition that would cause the light to come on before. There was a 3-4 lb differential from normal on the tire pressures. Would this be enough to throw off the ABS ???
Paul Z.
you will probebly find that the wiring conecters are dirty try tofolllow wires .I get this problem on my 300tdi es the one under the air fillter is the one to look at first this seems to get water collecting in the inside disconect it and blow it out with air then clean it up .this works for acouple of months then it will act up again try some grease arounr connecters to stop water getting in hope this work for you :drive:

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info !!! I took all the connections apart and cleaned them.. I reassembled with dielectric grease, and havn't seen the light all week ( except for when it is supposed to be on). Hope this cured my problam !! Now for the new shocks and plug wires .... My wife said I needed a winter project !!! Got to be done by race season !!!

PFZ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.