Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Disco II not even a month ago and I drove it around putting about 300+ miles on it. During the first 100+ miles the individual I bought it from had a 500cc amp battery in it so on colder mornings it would have a hell of a time starting up unless I had hooked it up to a charger, which would still not work sometimes. After putting a new battery in, it seemed to start up fine. A week after that it started the same thing again, it would start within the first 4 cranks of the engine or it wouldn't start at all but if it starts I can drive it all over the place no problem but I worry every time I shut it off for the possibility of it not starting again. I have the back carpet pulled up to try an listen and see if it was the fuel pump which I do not hear kick on in position II of the key. After that I had someone stand in the back as I turned the key. They didn't hear anything. The next day I went out (To try and think happy thoughts to see if the positivity helped) to start it and it started up with no issues. I sat in my disco to try an listen and get a feel for what the car was doing. I'm not sure what the normal idle speed should be but it looked like it was sitting at about 750 and out of nowhere it dips and the engine revs up, comes back down, and then idles fine. It has shut off before but only when I would start it up an let it warm up before going somewhere but it has only done that a handful of times. Also if I shut it off and come back out to start it again an hour later it sometimes doesn't want to start but it has no issue if it's only been a short time. Earlier today I went out to listened to the cars fuel pump and this time I heard it. I have a horrible feeling it may be the wiring from the fuel pump up but I'm hopeful that isn't the case.

I hope I put enough up to give a good description of what's going on and hopefully someone can shed some light on my problems.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

P.S. Sorry for the scatter brain way of describing this. I bought it and its my only means of transport that isn't paying a friend/family to take me to and fro. it's just quite urgent and I rather steer very clear of the stealerships I've heard so much about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What size CC battery did you put in, in my opinion 500cc is too low think the original is around 800cc. I have been using one around 900cc for many years with no problems. I bought a light truck battery.

Secondly when you started it have you checked the alternator to see how much charge it is putting back, it should read around 14+v else it is not really re-charging the battery. Just a note couple of times I have run the battery down especially in my recent alternator replacement when the battery was low and I tried to crank it, the engine sounded like it was getting enough power but the truck would not start, guessing was not getting enough juice to make it happen.

When you talk about letting it idle for awhile then the engine dips, speeds up then settles down and again this is a guess, could it be initially the fan is not working then it reaches temperature, the fan kicks in meaning the system needs more power, not enough power in the battery so the engines revs up to provide more charge to compensate. Once this equalises the engine settles down???

When you let it sit and it shuts off does it start again straight away, if so think this is fairly common for most engines. If I let it idle for awhile they just konk out. I always think of this as the vehicle saying well if I am not going anyway what am I doing I might as well go back to sleep!! If it starts up straight away do not think too much is wrong.

All said and done initially I would look at the battery and charging especially if you have a battery under 800cc.

Also not sure what type of engine your's is ie petrol/lpg/diesel. If it is a duel fuel (petrol/lpg) then it would require a lot more juice to get going.

Good luck Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I had the alternator tested and it passed the test 4 different times. I put a 700 or 750cc battery in it. What's the required cc for the 4.0L V8? When it kicks down it normally is already warmed up if that helps and yes, it's only been a few times it's happened twice. Also it normally runs fine after it kicks down like that. Also it hadn't done this since the other guy put battery that 500cc battery in it but last week I started it up with no issues and it put itself into limp mode maybe 5-10 min after I started it, I hadn't moved it either. When I came back to the car the M & S lights where flashing. Don't know if that helps or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will relate to you what was going on with my vehicle, I have no idea if it is the same as yours.

Was driving the truck and the battery warning light came on which alerted me to the need to see to the alternator. Being a scab I tried to get away with only replacing the brushes but due to the alternator being gunked up with oil no joy.

In the process of doing the brushes I charged my battery and initially aterwards all looked fine till the battery light came on. I drove home and the m&s lights started to flash and the truck went into limp mode.

I replaced the alternator and so far no issue with the lights and the truck is running fine.

Googling up the m&s lights indicated a range of possible reasons, water/dirt in the sensor, sensor being blown or low voltage. At a guess and the description of what you already described I see correlation between the m&s lights and start problems.

What I am reading the suggestion for the petrol variant is 850 cc with many suggesting 1000 cc. Also make sure all the terminals are secure both on the battery stub to the alternator, fuse box and the chassis/block.

Good Luck Peter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reading your post again when you said it was running fine then it went into limp mode with m&s lights coming on. Where you driving? Did you have the heater/fan/wipers/lights or something else that draws a lot of power.

When you say you had the alternator checked what volts was the alternator giving out. What was the charge in the battery with the engine stopped. Did the volts drop when you started up the vehicle. ie Before you start the truck check the battery and note the volts. When you start the vehicle does the charge go up or down. If it goes up does it reach 14ish volts? If it drops then you have issues with the alternator.

Have the issues become more apparent when you started using things like lights/heater/air con more?

Hope this give you some ideas/thoughts Peter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.