Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the past six months my wife's 95 discovery has had an intermittent starting problem. When the key is placed in the ignition switch and turned to start the engine everything goes blank: no dash lights, no starter action, nothing. Pressing everyting is sight on the dash, brakes, clutch,etc. eventually lights the dash and starts. We've driven to the local dealer hoping to get it in the no start mode. Finally, three weeks ago it happened and were able to make the service manager understand the problem. However, the car is now in an always start mode. He seems to think it's the positinve cable and wants to chage it. Meanwhile, he will not allow me to try to put it in a no start mode. The guy is a prima donna, is used to dealing with women and will not accept any suggestions. What do I do????????

· Registered
106 Posts
get a second opionion from another stealer, or landrover mechanic if that guy seems to be a bone head. Could be the starter is going-gone. Rebuild it or replace the whole unit.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Do this.....

Tell him to correct the problem correctly or you will take your business elsewhere. It sounds like your electrical system, especially the ignition key or the relays are on the way out. He partially solved the problem, so he knows what is wrong.

Put your foot down on this guy. If he won't do it right, ask to speak to the supervisor. Most are expierenced techs and usually corridnate strategy to keep the costs contained. If no further results, then find someone that will do the job right and respect your wishes.

Let us know how you make out.

Adam in NYC :drive:

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adam in NYC USA said:
Tell him to correct the problem correctly or you will take your business elsewhere. It sounds like your electrical system, especially the ignition key or the relays are on the way out. He partially solved the problem, so he knows what is wrong.

Put your foot down on this guy. If he won't do it right, ask to speak to the supervisor. Most are expierenced techs and usually corridnate strategy to keep the costs contained. If no further results, then find someone that will do the job right and respect your wishes.

Let us know how you make out.

Adam in NYC :drive:
Adam, I'm in Long Island. Can you recommend someone knowledgeable?
Alex

· Registered
1,506 Posts
signnage said:
for the past six months my wife's 95 discovery has had an intermittent starting problem. When the key is placed in the ignition switch and turned to start the engine everything goes blank: no dash lights, no starter action, nothing. Pressing everyting is sight on the dash, brakes, clutch,etc. eventually lights the dash and starts. We've driven to the local dealer hoping to get it in the no start mode. Finally, three weeks ago it happened and were able to make the service manager understand the problem. However, the car is now in an always start mode. He seems to think it's the positinve cable and wants to chage it. Meanwhile, he will not allow me to try to put it in a no start mode. The guy is a prima donna, is used to dealing with women and will not accept any suggestions. What do I do????????
I had the same problem, LR Parsippany uploaded some new software and reset the immobilizer on my 96 D1.

Ricardo in Long Island City works on Rovers.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
It sounds like it's a battery problem. The symptoms you describe can be caused by one of the cells in your battery grounding and, grounding out the electricals in your system when you try to start. This will occur intermittantly, but will quickly get worse. How old is the battery? If you have had it for some time it probably needs replacing.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Re: Good LI mechanic

signnage said:
Adam, I'm in Long Island. Can you recommend someone knowledgeable?
Alex
Actually I am not totally knowledgable about all the decent mechanics in LI but I have had Scott Dalton work on my D1 in the past and he has done good work. He is in Smithtown next to the Land Rover Dealership. He also has a website.

http://www.expeditionimports.org/ :rellye:

Contact Expedition Imports

http://www.expeditionimports.org/contactinfo.gif

Check out the Quicktime videos at the website. Domestic stuff gets so trashed out there in the field.

http://www.expeditionimports.org/offroad.html

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Re: Good LI mechanic

John C said:
I had the same problem, LR Parsippany uploaded some new software and reset the immobilizer on my 96 D1.

Ricardo in Long Island City works on Rovers.
Could you give me an address for Ricardo in Long Island City? Scott is good but far from the Big Apple. I hate riding back on the Long Island Railroad when he has to keep the car.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Adam in NYC USA said:
Could you give me an address for Ricardo in Long Island City? Scott is good but far from the Big Apple. I hate riding back on the Long Island Railroad when he has to keep the car.
Thread

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.