Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting back into Land Rovers having owned 96 and 99 Discoverys. I'm looking at buying a 2004 Discovery SE with under 80k miles. The one issue is an intermittent TC light. From my searches it looks like it could be low or dirty PS fluid. Let me know if you have any other possible causes and the remedy.

Thank you.

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
So to clarify you have an intermittent transfer case light on. Is it gears maybe in red or yellow flashing? Or solid light on? What would the power steering fluid have to do with the transfer case? Where did that info come from? Also did you scan the codes maybe with an everyday obdII code reader?

Lots of times a linkage problem can cause the gear light (t.c) to come on. It is referred to as the xyz switch I believe on the shift mechanism. Could also be the transfer case not fully engaged in whatever gear setting. Mine did this after wheeling to hard(like always). Mine popped out of gear kinda then the light flashed and a beeper alarm thingy went off. That same rabbit hunting trip I bent my exhaust pipe pinching it off. Had to cutoff a silencer with a hacksaw in the ditch. Then I forgot the pipe and silencer off in the woods and had to go back for it...

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read on another posting that low or dirty power steering fluid could cause this fault. Don't know how/why but that is what I read which is why I added that information. Does anyone know if those two systems (PS and TC = traction control) are connected in any way?

I have not seen the truck but will give it a complete scan when I inspect it this week. The local mechanic has been unable to find the fault but I don't know how much LR experience he has. It could be a bad wheel sensor for all we know.

I'll update as I have information.

Thanks for your response.

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
Right OK...traction control...most times...especially if it was a wheel sensor, is most times accompanied by other brake related lights. This is referred to as "the three amigos" as they most always come together. Use this term to search here for the different related threads. There's a lot about em. It does require that special scanner to read brake specific codes...I haven't had this issue yet so its best to search it out cause everyone else has had this problem. Most fixes have been figured out and are archived somewhere around here.

P.s. I haven't ever heard of the power steering causing this...however in an HSE high model I believe some active cornering or ACE systems may tie into this system...I ain't sure about that so again search here for three amigos or Google search and include this forum name.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your help on this. Yes, we have an ABS Amigo tool as well as a full OBD2 scanner. Between the two we should be able to get a sense of what is causing the TC light to go on/off. A bad or dirty sensor could be causing the problem as well. I believe that you are correct regarding the ACE and PS fluid as they run on the same system if you will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.