Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 92 Tdi discovery, is a georgous motor...

It does now do this intermittent violent shudder when over 45-50mph, when the shudder starts, it builds up and up till I am afraid the whole thing would shake apart - it has my local mechanics stumped, and some not so local but highly recommended. I have been told:
- sticky brakes disks
- sticky prop shaft
- shocks
- tire damage
- steering shaft

It feels exactly like extremely bad weel balance, or tire damage - the steering wheel starts to lash a bit from side to side, and the whole front end of the vehicle shudders, then if I don't whack the brakes, it resonates up till it gets dangerous. First I thought it was balance/damage, so changed the tires. Then someone said shocks so changed those, had the whole steering front wheel assembly looked at, loads of new parts! Still there but not as bad. Problem is if I bring it for service, it is guaranteed that it won't act up. I can only really use it as runaround now becuase it's unsafe at speed.

The shudder is not tied to any particular gear, or road surface, it keeps up if I press the clutch, press the gas, or release it, it can happen while turning or on a straight, dead flat road, or a bumpy road, not really speed related apart from never happens below 45-50. THe only thing that stops it is to drop a LOT of speed.

Does this ring a bell with anybody? I've run out of ideas (and mechanics) help please!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yep, the good old "death wobble".

Most shops don't deal with swivel balls so you can't expect them to know about it.

Is the preload set on a disco the same as it is in a series rig? All I have to do is tighten everything down and then take a fish scale to where the tie rod attaches...the force should be what's mentioned in the manual...add or remove shims to get to that number. Then I align it and I'm done...on a disco you can prolly alter more than just the toe in right? :dunno:

Bogatyr

·
Registered
62 Posts
rubber disc

its not the rubber disc on the prop shaft i have seen that cause a frightening shutter sooooo many times right around that speed

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a rangie with the exact same problem, its dam scary.
Turned out to be a problem with the steering box, and the amount of play. Changed the box and pitman arm, fixed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, thanks a mil for the advice, I appreciate any tips cause I sure do not want to have to change this lr for anything else.

I am going to try the lot - starting with the rubber disc on prop shaft as the handiest ;)

I had a look at that, xboxy, steering play at speed is me also, so will have a look at toe-in/toe-out too. I had all the steering gear checked out not long ago, so with any luck that end of things is all right. It'll be the new year before I get near it I'd say, but I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts