Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Disco2, 127k miles, fresh fluids in everything. During t-case refill, I noticed that the truck did not want to go into low range. This is true when the truck is in neutral, rolling very slowly or stopped, with the ignition on or off.

Yesterday, it was fine while stationary (wife and I were re-fitting rear drive-shaft). Today, during shake-down, no such luck.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Either your cable is rusted up or the shift solenoid on top of the t/case is failing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,

Do you recall if the interlock solenoid can be serviced/removed through the center console, or am I in for feeling it up from under the truck? I'm assuming the linkage can't be that rusty since it has recently moved very freely...just not most of the time. However, I'll get under it and take a peek.

Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Make sure the indicator next to the shifter is lighting up when you are in neutral. I have to wiggle the shifter to get mine to light up, then I can shift my transfer case.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mike,

Do you recall if the interlock solenoid can be serviced/removed through the center console, or am I in for feeling it up from under the truck? I'm assuming the linkage can't be that rusty since it has recently moved very freely...just not most of the time. However, I'll get under it and take a peek.

Thanks.
My cable was frozen up. I PB blasted all linkages and used a craftsman auto hammer on the outer steel housing of the shift cable. Applied just enough pressure to get the "hammer" to activate. I had first removed the solenoid but it was functioning correctly. It was a pain for me to get the solenoid out as the hi/low cable rested right on top of the solenoid cover. Had to be done from above by removing the transmission tunnel cover, drilling out the rivets.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If the solenoid is failing, either buy a new one or remove it completely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts