Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone figured out how to hook up both an ipod and keep their cd changer? I've seen the kits in atlantic british so you can hook your ipod up, but then you lose your cd changer. And i'd rather not use a tape adapter. Just curious.
-jesse
 

·
Polish and proud of it.
Joined
·
631 Posts
plastic said:
has anyone figured out how to hook up both an ipod and keep their cd changer? I've seen the kits in atlantic british so you can hook your ipod up, but then you lose your cd changer. And i'd rather not use a tape adapter. Just curious.
-jesse
What I would do If I wanted something like that .

I would make a Y cable with a switch . Ether a relay switching power and sound wires from one to the other and have the switch mounted somewere on the dash or in the midle glove box .


That's the only way I see doing it .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my thoughts would be to figure out which wires going to the cd changer carried the audio, then splice into there with a switch for an auxiliary input. Then if you had CD selected, and the switch set to auxiliary, you could plug the iPod in there. The only problem is the CD changer is still getting power. I suppose i could do an On/Off switch on the CD changer power wires too.

My Disco is a little strange, because i have the harmon/kardon sound, but it didn't come with the CD changer, (i bought my disco used) so i have a pioneer with the blitzsafe thing.

Any other ideas on this subject?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Do you have the LR DVD player? You could make a hard-wire connection through the auxilary connection sockets of this unit. The DVD unit has a button on it to allow sound to be transfered to the HK amplifier. :beer:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
Just for the record.....ITRIP blows.......not just limited to itrip, but all FM transmiters, they just don't provide good sound quality. I have a direct ipod jack in my Mini and the sound quality is awesome. I need to go the Y splitter and switch hook up for my rover
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
lshill05 said:
Just for the record.....ITRIP blows.......not just limited to itrip, but all FM transmiters, they just don't provide good sound quality. I have a direct ipod jack in my Mini and the sound quality is awesome. I need to go the Y splitter and switch hook up for my rover
I know that as far as sound quality goes its the shortest and most direct route you can make to the amp and with the highest quality cable, but what about the cassette adaptor, how do you rate them? :beer:
 

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
I had an fm transmitter for a cd player and the most annoying thing was it would pick up different stations no matter what station I had. I could change it and ten minutes later it would pick up a stray signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, i remember reading a while back that a company was making a cassette adapter for the iPod that would work with your tape decks head unit controls, like when you fast forwarded the tape, the iPod would go to the next song. I thought that was pretty neat, but i can't seem to find it anywhere.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,367 Posts
frickjp said:
Apparently, you've never used an iTrip.
Apparently youve never used anything but.


Cassette and direct jack are amazingly better then an iTrip......never distort, always clear, no signal to block/intercept, etc. Cassette is cheaper. Jack is much higher quality. No batteries.

All my friends have Itrips/FM transmitters and they only have them because thier vehicles dont have cassette players. I wasnt impressed, so I tried a cassette adapter, which they said was crap; turns out its better than theirs and about 1/5 the price. They now aggree that it is superior to thier FM transmitters, and so can I.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
This is what you are thinking about. If you get it tell me how it is.


http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/smartdeckdock/


plastic said:
Yeah, i remember reading a while back that a company was making a cassette adapter for the iPod that would work with your tape decks head unit controls, like when you fast forwarded the tape, the iPod would go to the next song. I thought that was pretty neat, but i can't seem to find it anywhere.
 

·
Polish and proud of it.
Joined
·
631 Posts
plastic said:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzlrovmlink1v1d.html

this allows both the cd changer and an ipod. and not going through the tape deck.

-Jesse

It's cool , But some of us ( like me ) would like one feature that this dose not have
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Blitzsafe iPOD interface does NOT control nor display information from the iPOD on the factory radio. All control and display of the iPOD remains with the iPOD.
I love the price :lol . But this is what I want the most :) . I'm using that stupid tape deck tape ( from my old CD player ) . So sound is little crapy , but I don't have to spend $90 and still have to play with the iPod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
A problem I have with the cassette adapter is the deck keeps reversing, thinking it has reached the end of a tape. The cassette adapter I use is the one that came with the XM radio kit.
 

·
Polish and proud of it.
Joined
·
631 Posts
CurryHook said:
A problem I have with the cassette adapter is the deck keeps reversing, thinking it has reached the end of a tape. The cassette adapter I use is the one that came with the XM radio kit.

Dose it throw it out also .

My tape deck did that untill I rerouted that wire to the other side and shuved that tape in and it's on a side-2 and works fine .

I dono maybe my tape deck is scrued up and dose not like to play on side-1 ( cause it did that on a differnet tape addapter ) .
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top