Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to LR's and have the bug. I was considering getting a 96-97 D1 with good miles and just read two professional reviews of the 99 Disco 2. Both reviews were glowing and stressed the significant improvement in the DII over the D1. I thought I should ask the experts how you feel about the two models. Is it worth changing my budget and looking for a good D2?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
As I own two D1's (and love them to death), I guess i'm biased.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
What do you plan to do with the Disco?
I have a 99 D2 and swear by it. The D2 is slightly longer, some people say that is a problem, but I can go every where a D1 can and more.
Starting in 99, the D2's had a whole new electrical system and Bosh engine management which gives the 99 D2 much less problems.
If you want any pointers on a 99 D2, get back to me I would be glad to help.
Mike J.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As Disco Mike has mentioned the Disco 2 is longer. This gives more cargo room inside but means a longer overhang. No problem unless you intend extreme off-roading in which case the rear bumper can be torn away when coming out of deep washouts etc. This is easly replaced ie anchored back on at little cost. Much more damage can occur with the front end if due care is not taken. I don't see a problem with the smaller Disco if you can get a good clean one at the right price. This would be a good introduction to 4WDriving, you havn't spent a fortune and if you like Landies you may upgrade to a Disco 2 later on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I Love my Discovery. . . . .

96, It has had its moments, but has never left me stranded. I love the "simplicity", and as an introduction to Land Rover it has really shown me that, although a hugh percentage of people prefer D2's, Land Rover built the Discovery right the first time, with no real need for improvement. I wouldn't sell mine for twice that price, and it has twice the miles! Thank You, LRW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts