Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My earlier post went mostly unanswered, and I realize now that I posted it in an odd place.
My question is, how reliable are Range Rovers? I want to go on a big adventure- driving from Boston to California on RT 50. Now, would a Range Rover (2000-2002 SE 4.0 and 4.6) be able to drive hundreds of miles a day without breaking down? I realize that it all depends on how well its been kept, but is it the opinion of anyone here, that a well kept RR could make the journey without issue?

·
Registered
41 Posts
How long's a piece of string!

Is this a one-week dash or a year out with all the side trips? A straight there and back would be well within the normal service interval and no more risky than the same distance at home.

It's not exactly like crossing the sahara - last I heard, even the mid-west has the odd mechanic! Worst case scenario is you spend a week in some dot on the map that you've never heard of. Relax, go for it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This sight has a list of recommended mechanics all over the place. Print out the states you'll cross, then you'll have it handy if you need help. I've yet to do a big trip, but commuting between Maine & NYC has been reliable.
http://www.bushducks.com/landrover/landrover.htm
Also, Robison is a great place in Springfield Mass that could help with vehicle inspection and prep.
http://www.robisonservice.com/
If you plan on going off road, get the one Red-Rhino has in the For Sale section.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I regularly run my Rangie Des Moines, IA to Philadelphia, PA return (sometimes even there and back over a long weekend).

As with any long trip, there really only are 2 rules, and it should be real smooth.

#1) Make sure all fluids, tire pressures, etc are filled up. Carry extra windscreen wash (ok, a quart of oil never hurts to lie in the spare wheel out of the way), etc. If you can afford the $100 or so, start off by taking the car to the local dealer for a regular 7500 mile service. That way you'll also know if you have anything wearing down to where it could become an issue (eg brakes etc).

#2) Make sure you know where the next gas station that serves out 92+ gas is. Eg heading through Nebraska Westwards on I-80, you HAVE to stop and gas up just West of Lincoln. Otherwise you probably won't make the next gas stop... I've found that the DeLorme US Atlas trip planning software is a great tool for long-distance, expecially if you're planning side routes / detours.

HTH

Happy Rovering,
Staffan Tj
---
1996 RR 4.6 HSE
115k miles
Rioja Red/Walnut

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all very much for your help, I appreciate it. Those lists will be very helpful!As far at trip planning, I'm going to gets some books, read some articles, and get a GPS system (if the RR doesn't have one already). I'm hoping to do this sometime this summer. I am trying to transfer to a school in LA. Today, I went over to Metro Land Rover in Sudbury, Mass, and tested out the new Rangie, and a new Discovery, but could only sit in the 2000 RR HSE (my favorite). I must have been there for almost 3 hours, just driving around and chatting with one of the nicest and most helpful salesmen I have ever met. We took the Discovery over the terrain test, and WOW, I am still amazed at what the car could do. It totally blew me away.
They're going to let me know if a nice 00-02 RR comes in. I'm more inclined to get an SE, just for the somewhat better fuel economy.
Maine to NYC, thats certainly a trip, I've done that. I sware I would never drive cross country, but after seeing a green Rangie, I changed my mind!
My plan is to take RT 50.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good luck with your trip...

First of all, I think you should buy my HSE and save a few bucks off the newer ones, it is quite capable of the trip! LOLClick Here to see it! (it already has GPS/NAV system!

otherwise, best of luck in finding one, I know you'll enjoy it

As for fuel economy, keep the cruise on at 65 if you really want to save gas...

the difference in mileage between the 4.0 and 4.6 is very little on the hiway. :drink1:

·
Registered
96 Posts
The big secret to getting good (or as good as it gets) gas mileage out of a RR is to realise that it is a very heavy car, and as such needs to be driven with momentum in mind. The less you have to make the engine work to change your speed, the better off you'll be fuel-wise. Hence why I get 13mpg in-town with lots of stop signs, but can get up to 17mpg on the freeway at (sensbile) speed. Cruise control is certainly useful for this as it smooths out the tendency to over-use the accelerator in freeway conditions. Equally important however is to be looking far enough ahead that you can let the car drift up to slower traffic, rather than braking your momentum away, etc.

HTH
Rgds
Staffan Tj.
---
RR 4.6 HSE
Rioja Red, Walnut

1 - 7 of 7 Posts