Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been away awhile,and everything has been good with my 00 D2. About a week ago I was driving to work and noticed the primitave temp gauge rise enough that i was concerned, then as quickly as it rose it went back down to normal range(right in the middle) and no i dont have an ultra gauge. its happened a couple times since then, and what im wondering is if the thermostat isnt opening when its supposed to causing it to start to over heat? Anybody else had similar problems? And is there anywhere to get all the coolant hoses for a decent price? Ive checkedwith british atlantic and $300 seems kinda high. Anybody with thoughts please post.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Remove the thermostat and test it in a pan of water to see and what temperature (and if) it opens. If it's faulty replace it with PEL500110.
Rovahfarm generally has some of the best prices on Rover parts.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How many miles are on your truck?
Have you checked your coolant level, have you had to add coolant in the ;ast month or so, when was it last changed???

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, yes ive added coolant but just to top offthe overflow tank. The truck has 142,000 miles on it. Its had alot done to it in the last 6 months,waterpump being one of them, now i thinking i should of replaced all the hoses alng with the thermostat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and removed the top rad hose,filled with coolant to make sure the radiator was full. Then I elevated the overflow tank and ran the rpms at 2 grand for a few mins to get the air out(i dont have the tee with the bleeder valve). I drove it for about 10 miles and all seems fine again. Im now gonna order a thermostat and housing. Anybody with suggestions feel free to chime in. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are going to replace to the 180-deg thermostat, make sure to get the correct version. There is an OEM-equivalent Motorad version (comes in white) or the genuine Land Rover version (comes in grey). Get the latter as the former has been known to fail prematurely. The latter will have a "G" suffix to the PEL500110G part number which stands for "genuine".

Here are some sources which stocks them:

Land Rover Discovery 180F Thermostat PEL500110

THERMOSTAT ASSY DII & FREELANDER 180 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT, PEL500110, RNQ028 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Good luck in your search for cooling nirvana!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I went ahead and removed the top rad hose,filled with coolant to make sure the radiator was full. Then I elevated the overflow tank and ran the rpms at 2 grand for a few mins to get the air out(i dont have the tee with the bleeder valve). I drove it for about 10 miles and all seems fine again. Im now gonna order a thermostat and housing. Anybody with suggestions feel free to chime in. Thanks.
Before you start throwing parts at it, we should talk, PM me your number and let me point you in a better direction and how to test it without buying new parts that may not be needed.
By the way, never try and bleed your Disco the way you described.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Love-Hate Rover said:
Im now gonna order a thermostat and housing. Anybody with suggestions feel free to chime in. Thanks.
One suggestion, test yours as suggested to see if there is really an issue with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will test it but i wont be able to do it until saturday. With that said, could it possibly have been air trapped around the thermo, instead of coolant because i do know that it wont open with hot steam around it. Also how can i safely bleed air from the coolant system without the bleeder screw? What should the temp be for the stat to open because im not sure what it has in it rite now?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Start to open at 82c, fully open at 96c.
Also check your fan's viscous clutch, it should show good resistance when turning it by hand with the engine hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts