Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed recently that, intermittently, the engine in my 04 Disco takes on a different lower note, kind of like there's a hole in the muffler. This is most notable a low speeds. It's not a bad sound but obviously something's wrong. It also seems to be deffinitely down on power when this happens. Since this is intermittent could this be a sign of broken packing material inside a cat creating a blockage? That's happened to my 24 year old Miata a couple of times over the years. Also, the service engine soon light is not lit. It was cleared recently after replacing the passenger side aft O2 sensor. Any thoughts on what I should be looking at?

PS - recently moved from a highriser to a house WITH A GARAGE so am trying to check these things out myself.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
It's plausible - what's the mileage on the car? Does the exhaust smell funny - maybe like rotten eggs? Do you always use premium fuel? Has your gas mileage taken a dip?

You can give your converters a quick shake after they're cool and see if you hear anything moving inside.

It could also be a rich condition caused by either an exhaust leak, vacuum leak, or faulty injectors. The engine note will become lower and the extra fuel can bog it down, leading to the lack of power.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the same symptoms, but I can hear my cat going bad. Sounds almost like a knock.

Get under the truck and inspect the muffler for rust holes, if you live in a place where they salt the roads. It sounds more like an exhaust leak somewhere.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Dane it sounds like yours may be a cracked flywheel. Not trying to jump in...just always tell people this story with your symptoms. I bought a truck along time ago cheap because it had a "rod" knocking I could hear it was coming from the tranny but I thought it was further back than the flywheel. Got an olds 403 out of the deal. Low miles cause he parked right after he put it in.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Your input wasn't needed. You'd have to be an ass to mistake a bad cat for a cracked flywheel, same goes for someone who thinks a cracked/chipped flywheel would be a rod knock. They are both distinct noises that you cannot misdiagnose. The symptoms of both also differ dramatically.

Don't say I'm not trying to jump in then jump in. I would have asked if I didn't know what my problem was.

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
and you want help?

Your input wasn't needed. You'd have to be an ass to mistake a bad cat for a cracked flywheel, same goes for someone who thinks a cracked/chipped flywheel would be a rod knock. They are both distinct noises that you cannot misdiagnose. The symptoms of both also differ dramatically.

Don't say I'm not trying to jump in then jump in. I would have asked if I didn't know what my problem was.
Dane;
You are not doing the OP any favors with this kind of reply. Don't be surprised of no one else offers an opinion on the original problem. I know I won't. You may not have meant it that way, but your post came across as rude and it was uncalled for. I think an apology is in order from a 'senior member'.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Actually, I had an experience in a '96 DI where there was a rattle that we all thought was a bad cat with its matrix broken up. That sound is common enough a that I kept driving the Disco. That was until it died on me. It turned out that the serrated ring the crank sensor reads, riveted to the flex plate, had sheared off. The event occurred over weeks, it was not instantaneous. The rattle was the ring hitting either the crank sensor or something else inside the bell housing as it was coming undone.

So, to be on the safe side, if you cannot actually confirm that a rattle is coming from one of your cats, it wouldn't hurt to unbolt the inspection plate on the bell housing directly behind the oil pan just to make sure what's going on isn't potentially catastrophic.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dane;
You are not doing the OP any favors with this kind of reply. Don't be surprised of no one else offers an opinion on the original problem. I know I won't. You may not have meant it that way, but your post came across as rude and it was uncalled for. I think an apology is in order from a 'senior member'.
No, If you had told me to check it out, I would have kindly replied, I have no reason to dislike you, but Disco biscuit and I have had a problems in the past. He insulted me along with Discomike a while back, and knows I am not fond of him, so I would rather not hear his life stories. He's either being passive aggressive, or he's already forgotten that he was not so polite himself. I know you didn't know that, so no apology is in order.

Your also not doing the OP a favor yourself trying to be a superhero and defending Disco biscuit either. I put my first post that I also have similar problems he is having and I have confirmed mine is a bad cat. I was trying to be constructive to the OP.

Paul, I have confirmed it is the cat. You can hit it and a fairly large piece is up there loose. Its large enough to not cause a rattle but similar to a knocking noise at idle. Although, after I do replace the cats I will know what to look for if I do hear another rattle, I could possibly stop something catastrophic in the future as the d2 ages.

Thanks,
Dane.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Weird I don't remember having problems with you at all. If I was unfriendly I apologize for something I was unaware of. You seemed confused to why it had a knock....just was honestly trying to help. It does seem rather ironic you would accuse me of being passive aggressive when you are in fact the one holding some crap against me that was probably just a difference of opinion. There's people on here that have said weird crap to me I don't hold against them. I especially don't remember "insulting" both you and disco mike. That guy has helped me out a lot in the past and if I disagree with him its always been pretty respectful. I wish he would chime in since you're gonna throw his name in the middle of defending yourself as a additional reasoning for jumping down my throat.

If you'd have said to the O.P...my cat has worn out to the point the insides are rattling around inside of there. Maybe even suggest if it gets as bad to start making noises you can knock the insides out with a broom stick...

I thought I was being helpful. The cat is close to the flywheel and seemed legitamate. Anyhow im glad i realize you hate me now. No I wasn't holding something weird against you. Yes I guess I am stupid and dont realize what I did to you. Why don't you help me out and remind me? I'm sorry in advance for whatever it was.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It was no difference of opinion, you and Mike insulted me, I must have been unclear about that. No one insults mike, they only side with him when he insults someone else, and then they jump in on the insults, and that's what had happened between you and I, and other forum member on this site.

It happens to many people on various land rover forums, people side with him even if he is wrong but mostly this forum. I have had this happen to me numerous amounts of times, and only one forum member sided with me.

That's why this forum is dead. The member's left have a sense of self entitlement like mike did, because they have posted enough to be a senior member or have learned enough from everyone else's problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bosnian - Sorry for not responding earlier. Mileage is 126k and, yes, I only ever use premium 93 octane. No funny exhaust smells at all. The gas mileage does seem somewhat worse although i'm not certain as my commute recently increased exponentially. Also, I haven't noticed any of the typical rattling below that signifies a broken Cat to be honest. I checked the throttle body to see if its dirty and it doesn't seem that dirty at all. My air filter is clean too. Maybe the fuel filter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi I have a 2004 Disco with 204K on him, he has been a champ so far. just recently, I have heard a sound like an aluminum shield near the front after driving for a while. I stop at a light and vibration starts after it is hot. SO it's my catalytic converter? it comes from right by the gear bx area. Thank you for input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.