Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the battery in my Rover went tits up the other day. No big deal. I pulled the old one and ran to my local Auto Zone store. I plunked the core down, and walked over to the battery rack to check out the Optimas. Now, I know my fair share about cars, but considering that I buy a battery about every four years, when the clerk asked if I knew the correct size, I replied " Check and make sure for me so I don't have to come back."

He says: "What kind of car?"

My response: "A 1990 Range Rover."

Him: "Is that a Toyota?"

Me: "No it's not a [email protected]#*ng Toyota. It's a Land Rover."

Him: "Land Cruiser?"

Me: "NO. A Land Rover. That's a whole seperate make."

Him: "Oh."

Does this kind of thing happen to everyone else? I mean, for God's sake, if you work in an auto parts store shouldn't you at least know more manufacturers than Toyota, Ford and Chevrolet?

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
and ask yourself you want to get maintenance tips from places like that.

They are in the same business as Sears, Take your money and not care if the problem is fixed or not.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Happens all the time, drives me nuts! People just have a hard time figuring out the whole every Range Rover is a Land Rover, but not every Land Rover is a Range Rover! Then you do your best to explain it to them like they are not an idiot, and they ask you well what about a Land Cruiser............:confused

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Badger1 said:
Happens all the time, drives me nuts! People just have a hard time figuring out the whole every Range Rover is a Land Rover, but not every Land Rover is a Range Rover! Then you do your best to explain it to them like they are not an idiot, and they ask you well what about a Land Cruiser............:confused

So true .
Like I posted in the other thred , the same jelous people that think you are loaded cause you have a Range Rover Discovery LOL .

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
I went to go and get those new Sylvania Silverstar headlights for my 94 RRC and I didn't expect them to have them in stock at the local "Murray's Discount Auto Parts" store. I ask the guy when they would get the headlights in on the shelf. To make it easier here's how it went:

Me: Do you guys have Silver Stars for a 94 Range Rover?

Him: (He goes to a computer in the store) Well let's see if there are any in the store...What is it again?

Me: A 94 Range Rover. ( I expect the guy to know that Range Rover is made by Land Rover)

Him:(He looks under the letter "R" for my vehicle!!) This vehicle doesn't exist.

Me:(I couldn't believe he just told me that) It's made by Land Rover.

Him: Oh I see, a Land Rover Range Rover.

Me: (to myself) Duh!

And this guy says he know all the car manufacturers and the vehicles.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
That is unfortunately normal...... I was a manager at an Auto Zone.......That was scary, I have a fair knowledge of cars but nothing extreme.....I was only a mechanic a few years......The DM would hire people who barely knew a thing.. I had to train a girl who had no clue what a coil, distributer cap or a ignition rotor were...But she answered mechanical quetions...WTF....I often had to fix her mistakes......I did make sure all the employees knew that Land rover was not a yota and the Range rover was not the make...I tried to make it seem we may have some idea of cars..........out of 12 there were 4 of us that actually worked on our own stuff and tried to gain knowledge from other sources........That drove me crazy!!!!!

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Wow...That's nuts. I say, if you don't know how it works, don't get it. This concept should be applied to people that get employed at any auto parts store, but that's just me. It is a common mistake that some people will mix up car makes and models. My mom just called me this evening saying that she couldn't find something on her 86 Benz on-line, when she typed in the make of the Benz (420 SEL) in the make on the screen. I get a laugh outta that kinda stuff. LOL

·
Registered
298 Posts
Some auto parts stores have "Range Rover" in their computer as the make for 1987 - 1994 model years.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
I have had many people who have said something like this.

Them-Hey man what is that.

Me-Its a defender 90

Them-WOW, I didn't know Jeep made something like that, Where do I get one?

Me-From the Land Rover Stealership.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
it's really funny that this thread is up right now because i just had this type of experience within the last 15 mins.

so i know this guy that works in the same business complex and he owns an H2. i drive by him in the parking lot today in my 90 and tell him to get his H2 washed (he'd been up skiing over the weekend and he usually keeps that thing spotless). the following constitutes our subesquent conversation:

Him: "Dude, nice rig! Isn't that thing like the best 4x4 around? That thing is awesome!"

Me: "So they say. Pretty much, yeah." (i'm thinking, wow, this poseur knows the real deal here. i'm mildly impressed.)

Him: "We should swap sometime." (hopefully, he's joking.)

Me: "Sure, but not for offroading." (no way i'm taking that POS offroad.)

Him: "What?"

Me: "Not for offroading."

Him: (Blank stare.)

Him: "So, how long you had your J**p?" (i knew it was too good to be true.)

Me: "First of all, it's not a J**p. And I gotta say that because there's a running thing between J**p guys and Land Rover guys."

Him: "Yeah, yeah, Range Rover."

Me: "No, Land Rover. They don't import these to the U.S. anymore... haven't since 1997."

Him: "So how much you buy that for?" (Mind you, he has clearly not registered the whole Range Rover is a Land Rover and a D90 is a Land Rover thing.)

Me: "I bought it in 2002 for about $37K."

Him: "See, I told you." (He looks over to this skanky co-worker of his, who is clearly lost and disinterested, but is mildy interesting standing there in her jean mini, yes, jean mini, and cowboy boots.)

Me: (Taking eyes off bimbo.) "Yeah, I could probably still get $35K for it now."

Him: "Damn! You know, I was on my motorcyle a year or so ago and saw this J**p like yours and I pulled up next to 'em and said, 'How much you want for it?' They go, '$45.' And my girlfriend (she's on the back) goes, '$4500?!?' And the lady goes, 'No! $45K!' And we were like, 'Holy ****!' Man, that's amazing! Those things are bad ass!"

Me: "Was the rig you saw green with a full rack system on it?" (I didn't waste my time going into the whole 'willow green' thing.)

Him: "Um, yeah. (Has no idea.)"

Me: "Well, they made a limited edition version of my car in '97. They only made 500. If it was green with the racks, then it probably was. They very well may have been able to get $45K for it." (depending on mileage, etc.)

Him: "Well, ok. Yeah, sweet rig! See ya." (Walks off with floosey in tow. Still mumbling about "that guy's J**p.")

Me: "Yeah, see ya." (I walk back to my office thoroughly disgusted, but feeling quite superior.)

All I can say is, at least the guy recognized that my "J**p" is the shiznit when it comes to 4x4s. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had an employee that whenever I drove the Disco, she would ask me "why are you driving the J**p today?" or give some sort of J**p reference. I explained the difference to her once and she said "J**p, Land Rover, they're all the same." Needless to say, she is no longer employed with me. (Not really the reason, but it makes for a better story)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all..First post. nice forum.

First off. I dont expect much from non "roverphiles".

What does get my goat is someone who has a disco series I, II or whatever and think they own a series rover.

Gets especially crappy when serching ebay for "series rover" ARGGG!

·
Majesticdisco1
1,248 Posts
When i got my D1 before then my mother had bought her D2 so the next after my purchase of the land rover my next door neighboors said. "wow I see you guys got 2 jeeps" " they are not jeeps they are rovers" I said "who makes rovers" "land rover makes rovers" i continued. " well who is land rover made by" I got sick of it " land rover is made by Land Rover Bitch" They said "were sorry were sorry" Before the day we even had land rovers they didn't even speak to us.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
The worst for me was when a LR3 owner told me to take the land rover stuff of my series III because it was not a land rover because they did not make trucks until the late 80's. Was and interesting experience, someone needed an education on the marque.....

·
It's all about my Blue Balls!
2,109 Posts
I work at office max and the people that work with me are not so smart when it comes to cars... or anything else.

I had one of them follow me out and ask why I drive a j**p. I told them I would rather push my RR then drive a j**P and then went into telling her the difference. She then went off on my telling me how stupid I was for not knowing that my car was j**p. I showed her the back where it says RR ect... but she didn't believe me that the RR wasn't a j**p model. I just thank God that she quit yesterday! Can't get much dumber! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.