Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the Air suspension control module "VIN locked" ? can it be moved between vehicles?

Hello,
this is my first post.
my search here seems to show that no one has asked this question before...

"To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post."

So I have ordered an "Air suspension control module" off ebay for about $120. (I ordered it because the dealer said I need to replace it.) (I'm skeptical.)

the part number is RQT500100 , it's for a 2008 Land Rover LR3 4.4L V8 VIN SALAE254X8A463999

The ebay vendor shipped it to me, and then messaged me that another customer of his complained that another one of these modules resulted in a "VIN locked" error message on the OBDII scan tool... but never the less, this "VIN locked" module still solved the other customer's problem...

So... has anyone ever heard of this before, that an "Air suspension control module" will be "VIN locked?" If I had to guess, I would guess that either it is the customer's OBDII scan tool that is "VIN locked" to the customer's vehicle, and the customer is simply misunderstanding the "error...?" Or maybe the vehicle VIN is stored in the "Air suspension control module" each time the calibration is run? So maybe running calibration again would make the "VIN locked" error go away?

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
19 Posts
hello All!! this is an old posting... but it sure asks a good question. I have a friend here with an '06 SE, a talented mechanic by profession, but his truck's lack of an operant compressor has left him stumped. He lives a province away from me (in Saskatchewan) and doesn't have a proper scanner either. So yes, that really should be his first order of business. Even so, he's wondering if changing the air suspension module will be of help. Has anyone had experience of the module outright failing?

·
very disco
2,083 Posts
I'm not sure that it's "locked" per se... but it will be very difficult to be sure it's loaded with an appropriate firmware (Hitachi v AMK). furthermore, if there is vehicle specific data stored in the EAS, it may trigger an error in the specific scan tool. some scanners (GAP tool, I'm looking at you) are vin locked themselves, meaning you can only use them on one vehicle, and if the EAS presents itself as from another vehicle, that could be a problem.

you could easily swap the EAS ECU out and have the same exact symptoms for an entirely different reason. maybe @HOUM_WA knows better

·
Registered
286 Posts
@antifa if I had to speculate about it, I'd say that other customer has his or her wires crossed and the Ebay seller is just being transparent about it with you; which is good. I guess just plug 'er in and see!

·
very disco
2,083 Posts
teehee, I think Antifa is long gone... a drive-by poster. rob bartleman however is current and active.

side note, choosing "Antifa" for a name in 2019 is a lot different than 2020!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Okay then to Rob's question....I don't know the answer for sure, but I'd say if the compressor won't fire up at all, it needs to be replaced. If the ECU is wonky it usually just results in funny things happening with the suspension but not a complete no-go from the compressor. Again, my response is purely anecdotal based on all the stuff I've heard over 15 years of LR3 ownership. I don't know for sure.

·
very disco
2,083 Posts
it's all conjecture without codes and add'l info

Reactions: HOUM_WA

·
Registered
19 Posts
it's all conjecture without codes and add'l info
hello again to both of you! (And thank you for your thoughts on the matter.). As it turns out, the fellow in Saskatchewan is opting to install coil springs. My thought for him was that a GAP tool would have been money well spent.... but I can hear my grandfather saying, "You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make them drink."

·
very disco
2,083 Posts
sigh

to each their own

1 - 9 of 9 Posts