Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 LR4 that I purchased non-running (mistakingly) from the online auction. It’s has 124k miles but the starter only clicks. I’m jumping to worst case that the engine needs to be replaced. Everyone post when engine is toast but my questions are - is this engine durable meaning should last 200k miles? Then - should I get a used engine for $6k or pony up for a reman for $12k. Used engine has 90k miles on it. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Assuming worst case scenario:
If you do have to replace the engine…
Service history on the used engine is key. Both of the LR4 Engines (US V8 and V6) can be reliable but are often not maintained well
Do the simple things first before spending big bucks, unless you are convinced the engine is RS.
If the starter clicks as you say, the problem is most likely to be electrical:

Check that the small control wire has not fallen off the starter solenoid (more common than you might imagine.
Check your wiring - especially the cable connected to ground - just a loose on will preevent the starter from getting full power

·
Registered
4 Posts
Assuming worst case scenario:
If you do have to replace the engine…
Service history on the used engine is key. Both of the LR4 Engines (US V8 and V6) can be reliable but are often not maintained well
This might be a double post because I hit the enter key by mistake.
Do the simple things before spending large bucks. For example:
Check the battery terminals - if they are not absolutely tight it will prevent sufficient power getting to the starter
The same applies to all ground leads/cables. That includes the one on the rear of the alternator
A common problem is the control wire falling off the starter solenoid - it is the small wire held on with a simple spade terminal
Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts