Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Land Rover LR3
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening.

I use two well known indy shops, one for Rover and the other is more general. Trying to save money during this economy, I purchased inner & outer kits from FCP Euro, and took to the more generalized shop. They cannot get the parts to fit properly, they're convinced someone put a different front-end on my truck. I don't believe this is true, because the Rover mechanic checked out under carriage a few months ago, and didn't mention anything odd.

They verified the parts I ordered, should fit my VIN. My saving money is out the door, they're charging me two hours labor, and putting my old parts back in. I mentioned the inners are sized different for each side, wondered if they got them backwards. Also, they had difficulty with the outers, saying the posts weren't long enough.

I've done a few tie rods, not sure if I should attempt myself, or pay much more at the indy Rover shop?

What a crappy day!

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
Sorry to hear about your difficulties.
Most shops in my area will refuse to install “customer supplied”parts for just that reason.
Did they mention what exactly was the problem?

·
Registered
2006 Land Rover LR3
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry for delay, got sidetracked.

Well, the parts I ordered are verified matched to my VIN (supposedly). I ordered Lemforder Inners and TRW outers. The garage didn't have luck finding the correct outers either. I decided to take this on myself, and I installed the parts, it was very straightforward.

The issue is, the diameter of the stud for the outers, is smaller than what's currently on the LR3 (TRW's as well). So the stud doesn't fit tightly as it should, there's some extra space around it. I understand there's a VIN split @2009, but I've been researching like crazy, and the same TRW part number pops up. And TRW's are what I'm replacing, and they fit perfectly.

My thought is FCP has shipped me the wrong outers, seeing their system doesn't recognize the split in VIN. I spoke with Atlantic British, and asked if the split VIN stud diameters are different, they didn't know. Not sure what to do at this point. Once I bolt the outer down, it seems fine, but I know without the bolt, the stud is somewhat loose fitting. I'm assuming it's not safe to drive this way? My LR3 is the V6, but the part numbers are same as V8.

Is it possible to replace the part with the orange arrow? To one with a smaller whole? This picture is the new parts installed (inner, outer, boot).

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
That would be the steering arm section of the steering knuckle so not easily or inexpensive.
Is the issue the tapered portion of the tie rod end stud?
Don’t mess with incorrect steering parts

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
Also appears that your brake flex hose may be twisted

·
Registered
2006 Land Rover LR3
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be the steering arm section of the steering knuckle so not easily or inexpensive.
Is the issue the tapered portion of the tie rod end stud?
Don’t mess with incorrect steering parts
It's the whole stud, the width is thinner than one I'm replacing. I'll take some pics without it bolted down. I've been driving my other vehicle until I sort this out.
Also appears that your brake flex hose may be twisted
Thanks for this!

I've had my LR3 for over 2 years now, had a 04' Disco previously.

·
Registered
2006 Land Rover LR3
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I'll admit my stupidity on this issue, but the non-Rover garage initiated it (Lol).
So, the outer tie rod stud is actually smaller in diameter than original, doesn't fill out the hole (see pic). But, "redtruck12" mentioned the taper end, and I focused on this. The taper end is nice and tight, so I'm assuming this is the most important connection.

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
In some applications there is a washer under the nut but I don’t see that being the case here. In your first picture the ball stud is too deep into the knuckle and crushing the rubber boot. It appears the diameter of the taper section of the tie rod end is too small (or the steering knuckle hole is too large).
I assume that the aftermarket tie rod end taper section is too small?
yes the taper is critical for proper fitment

·
Registered
2006 Land Rover LR3
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In some applications there is a washer under the nut but I don’t see that being the case here. In your first picture the ball stud is too deep into the knuckle and crushing the rubber boot. It appears the diameter of the taper section of the tie rod end is too small (or the steering knuckle hole is too large).
I assume that the aftermarket tie rod end taper section is too small?
yes the taper is critical for proper fitment
Well, these are TRW's, which I understand are OEM? The kit Atlantic British sells is TRW as well, should be the same parts. The taper is smaller than the original ones, and no washer was included, maybe I should use one?

I ordered the full Lemforder kit, will see how these fit. FCP is allowing me to return the TRW's, probably because I'm a good customer with no return history.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
You don’t need a washer
You need the correct parts 😉

·
Registered
2006 Land Rover LR3
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, this appears to be the solution, I missed a step. There's a cup/insert, that needs to be removed from the old tie rod end, and installed over the new one. This video shows it @1:35.

I'm only using my Indy Rover garage moving forward, this is a clear reason why to. It's those steps, only someone familiar with a Rover would know.

Thank you for the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts