Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
2,986 Posts
It wouldn't be worth it/possible to make it US street legal. But what you could attempt to do, is buy it, and sit on it for 2 years, then try to register it. The US's import law is 25 years.

I wouldn't pay $28,000 for it.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
I wouldn't even attempt to import it and make it legal because the laws on importing a defender make it pretty much impossible. I would sit on it as well until its 25 years old and also I wouldn't pay 28K for it.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Why exactly is this Defender or any other Defender not US street Legal?

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
RageRover said:
Why exactly is this Defender or any other Defender not US street Legal?
The list is very long. I have heard it takes thousands and thousands of dollars to make a 90 importable.

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Huh...cause there is a car my rich friend imported from Japan; the Skyline, like the one from 2 Fast 2 Furious. It was expensive yes, but was imported with no restrictions and the car isn't even 25 years old. What's up with that, and what makes this any different from a Defender?

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
RageRover said:
my rich friend
Theres your answer right there.....

And, not all vehicles that people want to import are under the same laws. Theres hundreds of reasons why the D90 can't come in the US and it may be different for the skyline.

You can also get in a lot of trouble by bringing one illegally. I read somewhere that a guy tried to bring a 110 in as a series III, I believe it was, and the government confiscated it, fined him big money, and he lost everything he had in the vehicle.

Do i agree with the government. Not at all. I think if you want to drive an unsafe car go ahead, but i feel more safe in my D90 than most of my friends jeeps but I also have read the risks in bringing one in illegally and its def. not worth it...................................If you get caught :dunno:

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Or i guess you could find someone to get it for you, send them the money, and have them sit on it until importing is available, but whats the fun in that unless your heart is really set on having that truck

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Yes its still illegal. Im not up on all the laws but im sure the agents don't see it as on or off road...All they see it as is a vehicle thats not up to par on the US regulations and thats the bottom line although that may be somethign to check on.

·
These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
I heard it mentioned somewhere that you can remove the enigine and ship the car and engine seperately, then reassemble in US and register it as a kit car. Is that possible?

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
I am not sure abuot that....Seems like a good idea

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.