Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm looking for a good used Disco for hopefully no more than $8000 canadian. I haven't seen much in that range but I have found this one... http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=16365169&pgno=1&srt=1

I'm gonna call the owner to see how many miles/kilometers it has on it but what would you guys say about it just by what you know. keep in mind the price is in canadian dollars....

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Militant-Grunt said:
I suggest you be financially ready. But if that is canadian, then it should be worth it, I see them for 4500-6000 US here.
when you say "financially ready" that sounds so discouraging.

do you mean they are prone to repairs or are you saying that repairs in general are very expensive.... or both?

where i live the roads tend to be quite bad and i have been considering getting rid of my lowered 97 vw golf in favor of something that can handle all the bad potholes throughout the city.

obviously parts are gonna be way more expensive. gas will be way more expensive. is there something i'm missing aside from that?

·
Registered
111 Posts
mondem said:
when you say "financially ready" that sounds so discouraging.

do you mean they are prone to repairs or are you saying that repairs in general are very expensive.... or both?

where i live the roads tend to be quite bad and i have been considering getting rid of my lowered 97 vw golf in favor of something that can handle all the bad potholes throughout the city.

obviously parts are gonna be way more expensive. gas will be way more expensive. is there something i'm missing aside from that?
Well to give you an idea, we bought our Disco is early 2000, for about 13,000. Since then over 12,000 dollars was put in repairs alone. Thats why I am saying, be financially prepared, try to repair stuff yourself, and whatever you do, do NOT go to the dealer. You will be ripped off. ( why my repair bill is so high ) It is a high maintenance car for most part. It is a great car all around, just breakes too damn much..

Forgot to add, this thing loves gas (poor mileage), you dont need to put in more than 89/87 in there, we've been spoiling ours for 4 years with 93 and now its 87 for her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Militant-Grunt said:
Well to give you an idea, we bought our Disco is early 2000, for about 13,000. Since then over 12,000 dollars was put in repairs alone. Thats why I am saying, be financially prepared, try to repair stuff yourself, and whatever you do, do NOT go to the dealer. You will be ripped off. ( why my repair bill is so high ) It is a high maintenance car for most part. It is a great car all around, just breakes too damn much..

Forgot to add, this thing loves gas (poor mileage), you dont need to put in more than 89/87 in there, we've been spoiling ours for 4 years with 93 and now its 87 for her.
i think i just might take the plunge regardless but it's nice to know regardless.

i'm gonna find out how many miles are on it and then perhaps take it for a test drive.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
My 95 has had maybe $2K in repairs in the course of TEN YEARS.

·
Registered
789 Posts
hey buddy, fellow Canadian here

my advice is unless you have ALOT of money, and no wife or kids, do NOT buy this truck, first off its not a very good year for rover, if you read though this forum enough you will find that out, and you will spend the rest of your days spending money on repairs, if you decide to get a rover PM me and i can send you to a great mechanic as opposed to a stealership

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is an older vehicle, no matter what make could have problems, so keep that in mind. Knowing the service history helps. If your serious about it, take it to a shop and have it looked over really well.

A compression check and coolant pressure check wouldn't be a bad idea. Higher mileage/ older vehicles start needing sensors and misc. repairs, ie O2 sensors, cat converters and things like that. Check that the trans is shifting properly and the fluid looks good.

Also, check to see that the CDL is working properly. If not used often, they will freeze up and although not super difficult to fix, its a pain in the ass.

Bottom line is, every rover is different. Some years are better than others but there are also good trucks in the bad years. Just ask Rover X. I personally would rather have the '98 through '99 DI's. HTH and good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
discostew said:
how did you end up spending 12k on repairs? did the motor blow or something? even then 12k can buy at least 2 rebuilds?!
Well my father was not very smart, he kept on taking it to the dealership and at 110/ hour, you know how quickly money adds up.

Swivel seals ( around a grand )
Radiator
Pump
Alternetor
Exhaust manifold
Fuel pump ( now x2. )
Thats just off the top of my head, but there is loads of crap that just died in my disco.. I added up the bills from the stealership and it came out to 9500.. Then theres other stuff. Tires, Exhaust, etc.

Just a very unreliable car.

·
Banned
914 Posts
mondem said:
Hi guys, I'm looking for a good used Disco for hopefully no more than $8000 canadian. I haven't seen much in that range but I have found this one... http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=16365169&pgno=1&srt=1

I'm gonna call the owner to see how many miles/kilometers it has on it but what would you guys say about it just by what you know. keep in mind the price is in canadian dollars....

thanks
Just to give you an idea, I sold a 1999 D1 SD, with 89k miles, not a scrach on it, and the only thing "aftermarket" was a trailer wiring plug, and in-dash CD player. I sold it for 8900.00US a month ago...FWIW

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Actually- 95 is one of the best years for the Discovery I. They go forever with a little maintenance and proper upkeep.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
My 95 has had the alternator replaced and a new exhaust system. Other than that, just belts and hoses and brakes...
That's actually typical for 95's. As they hit about 110K, the tensioner and water pump should be done. Power steering hoses seem to be a problem on them too. We see LOTS of DI's coming through our shop and the 95's are holding up better than the 96/97's for sure. The simple ignition on the 95 is a big benefit for trail fixes etc too.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I think it depends more on the actual condition and history of the individual truck than anything else.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you can, I'd stay away from a 96. They are prone to the dash peeling up by the windshield. The dash on my old 96 was very bad. Land Rover changed their adhesive supplier in 97 and the problem went away. For the most part I find very few differences between my 96 and my 97 besides the mods added by special vehicles. The rear driveshaft uses a rubber coupling as opposed to a universal joint on the pinion side which is prone to wearing out at higher mileage, ad also limits the angles you can push your suspension. My 97 had a U joint propshaft added at the factory, but I dont think they became standard until 98 or 99. 96 alsohad a funky airbag sensor setup which caused some problems. Overall it all comes down to maintenance, Like everyone else has stated, look for the obvious signs of maintenance and they will be good indicators of the trucks condition.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Mondem, there's another point that may have not been mentioned. We have alot of other reliable vehicles (Volvo, Ford F series)in our family plus none of our family members must use a vehicle daily (excellent public transport here). So... when our 96 Disco broke an exhaust valve due carbon build-up, we parked it until I could find time to do the repair myself. It cost $700 not the $4000, as the dealer estimated. LR do not make good primary transport in my opinion. Buy yourself an old Honda Civic/Toyota Tercel for daily transport and keep the Disco for fun weekends - the less miles you put on the clock, the more economical and loved she will become. Our 96 (bought new) has only 53,000 kilometers (about 30k miles)on her and she will continue to please us for another decade or more - off road she is fabulous.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Dash peeling is a $65 fix, so I wouldn't really damn a vehicle you're considering because of it- but the 96 just wasn't an "on" year for L.R. it seems. I really dig the simplicity of the 95 vs. the 96+

·
Registered
111 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
Dash peeling is a $65 fix, so I wouldn't really damn a vehicle you're considering because of it- but the 96 just wasn't an "on" year for L.R. it seems. I really dig the simplicity of the 95 vs. the 96+
Word, the dash problem isnt only on the 96', mine came off as well, I have a special plastic screw on trim from the dealer holding it down now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.