Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the front prop shaft last night; it had been growling for quite some time. Noticed that one complete tooth (gear) seems to be missing from the rear tube. Did not take my new prop shaft apart so I do not know how it is supposed to look. Is this gap in the gearing designed or did I lose a complete tooth; looks to be maybe 12-18 inches of tooth missing.

Have a hard time believing this is not the original design but the growling seems now to be gone. I did not see a comparable gap on the old spline; it has all of its teeth evenly spaced all around

See pic.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
No, that's the keyway for making sure it's oriented correctly when you reassemble it.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, not surprised. Anyway it has been replaced with a new one with greasable zerks. Thanks guys for the help.

What do folks usually do with the old prop shaft? Throw it away?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
OK, not surprised. Anyway it has been replaced with a new one with greasable zerks. Thanks guys for the help.

What do folks usually do with the old prop shaft? Throw it away?
Most people keep them as a backup, I'd take it off your hands if it's rebuildable. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.