Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/MIDLAND-40-Chan...848484746QQcategoryZ40055QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i was just looking around and that looks like a pretty good deal. but then again, i know next to nothing about CB radios. what makes one better than the other? and what kind of specs sould i look at when buying one? im on a pretty tight budget right now and i would like to spend less than $100. i dont need anything fancy, i just need it for group trail rides and stuff.

gracias.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'm sure it would work just fine- the antenna is more important than the radio... their shipping charge is inflated a bit though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I paid $25 shipped for mine, brand new. It works fine, 3 year warranty. It always goes to channel 9 when powered down, you may want to power it to battery and shut it off to avoid this annoyance. I hooked mine to the lighter and screwed it to the passenger side of the console.

·
Banned
914 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do. That radio if fine for normal "trail talk". I like something with a little more "umph". So, I went with a Galaxy 10-Meter radio, and did the "CB conversion", or "red wire trick" on it. Course, I also turned the power up a little (just a little ;) ) and added a PA speaker to it. The PA is really nice off-road when talking to spotters and such...

The 10-Meter side is really cool too. of course, others have to have the 10-meter band to talk, but when you do, it can go for miles and miles. The 10-meter band is not very popular among HAM users, so off-road, it make a real nice "long distance" option. I've been down in the bottom of a ridge, and had a friend on top of the mountain; "as the crow flies", it was about 8-miles....it sounds like he was on the telephone with me, and no static, at all.

But, not everyone wants that.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Bene said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MIDLAND-40-Chan...848484746QQcategoryZ40055QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i was just looking around and that looks like a pretty good deal. but then again, i know next to nothing about CB radios. what makes one better than the other? and what kind of specs sould i look at when buying one? im on a pretty tight budget right now and i would like to spend less than $100. i dont need anything fancy, i just need it for group trail rides and stuff.

gracias.
Go for it, for the price it is great, and I agree with Steve, the antenna really make up the big difference with a radio.
Mount your antenna right in the middle of your big steel roof and everybody will hear you.
Take care.
Mike J.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.