Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was under the 94 discovery when I noticed what I thought was a crack in the trans. I am puzzled. Is this opening serving a purpose. I thought it might be there so the teeth on the fly wheel could be inspected but I am not sure.

Also ran into a problem when fitting the DC front drive shaft from BPUtah. Its spinning against the catalytic converter off and on especially during right turns. I'm guessing the exhaust rattles a lot due to age but I was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and what they did

I attached pictures
Thanks

Attachments

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had no idea. Well now the question becomes do I put the stock drive shaft back in till funds become available for a new exhaust or bang on the catalytic converter with a hammer to free up some space... A lift might be due as well think this will give me more clearance?

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
If you bang on the catalytic convertor you may be replacing it sooner rather than later. There's a heat shield around the cat in the picture. While I don't really recommend removing it, especially with the driveshaft so close, it might give you a little more room.

The OEM cat on the right side was taller and thinner than the one on the left side which was round.

Another suggestion is to delete both cats. You have a '94 which only has O2 sensors upstream. It's a lot easier to remove cats on these older DI's than on the newer ones with O2 sensors downstream as well as upstream. Removing the cats and installing straight pipes in their place will give you the room you need. You shouldn't have to worry about tripping any codes for the O2 sensors because they're upstream from the cats.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem with removing the cats is emissions. In Denver they check your car for them. Removing the heat shield was a thought I had but its welded (no punch out welds) together along the whole seam so if I try to remove it I might do just as much if not more damage to them as heating and bashing with a hammer. Thinking a smaller universal cat might be what I have to do

fishEH- the stock drive shaft cracked a few weeks ago and the DC was something I had already in preparation for the lift.

· Registered
217 Posts
The hole between the trans and engine plate is normal. Lets accumulated oil or water (from wading) out. The round cover with 3 bolts, lets you see torque converter drain plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.