Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused
I have a 96 D1. I took it off-roading last week, had the window down. There was a "rattle" in the front end. I have in the past year replaced the shocks, repaced the bearings, and changed rotors and brakes. I didn't see anything loose while I was doing this work. When I got back, I tried to locate this "rattle", found it in the front axle. I can only hear it when I rock the truck side to side, not up and down. :confused :confused :confused . I have grease in the swivel balls. Could this be a "preload" problem? :dunno: I really don't understand "preload" could someone explain this to me!?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you sure its not the tie rod ends? I've had rattles from them when they go bad.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well...... I do know they do need to be replaced, but they are not that loose to make that clear a sound. I can tell it is comming directly from the axles. It sounds like the CV joint is sliding back in forth in the axle. I am pretty sure the nuts are tight, but I will check again!!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will give them a better check. I think I know which ones these are, but I am not entirely sure. I will need someone to give me a hand on this one.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found the problem. :shifty: :eek: The Hub was loose...... :eek: I took everything off, and found the nut to be loose. I had to tighten it about 1/4 turn. While I was searching for this I found that my panhard rod was "squeaking" No signs that it is worn though(or am I kidding myself??). Should I go ahead and replace the bushings? Truck has 114k! If so, what is better poly, or OEM? Thanks People!!!!!!! :clap:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'd use the oem rubber bushings. If you use poly, make sure to grease them well on install to keep them from sqeeking. Also, tie rod ends will still clank even though they're tight.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bushings

LANDY96 said:
Found the problem. :shifty: :eek: The Hub was loose...... :eek: I took everything off, and found the nut to be loose. I had to tighten it about 1/4 turn. While I was searching for this I found that my panhard rod was "squeaking" No signs that it is worn though(or am I kidding myself??). Should I go ahead and replace the bushings? Truck has 114k! If so, what is better poly, or OEM? Thanks People!!!!!!! :clap:
114k? yours lasted longer than mine did , mine were shot at about 40k.
Replace them all with poly , they will last longer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Potholes

Militant-Grunt said:
Thats what you get for living in NYC =)

I know. ,the potholes are getting deeper and wider. Those D.O.T. A*******
should be paid by the pothole not the hour.

I love when you pass a crew of about 20 and only two are working and
the rest are whacking off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.