Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK -- I'm the worst kind of newbie. Not only have I never driven a Range Rover before, I am almost completely mechanically inept. This being understood, I recently purchased a 95 range rover 3.9 with 85K miles. My favorite vehicle I have ever owned was a 1973 International Scout, and I have hopes that I will love this truck every bit as much.

The truck is in very good exterior shape, and seems to be in very good driving condition. I replaced the battery upon purchase as it was hanging when i cranked it, which seems to have solved the problem. This was a couple of days ago and had not driven the rover again extensively until today.

After a 25 mile trip up interstate 95 in the South Florida sun this afternoon, I stopped at a convenience store, shutting the rover down. When I started it back up, I turned the wheel to the left and received an extremely disconcerting electrical squeal... I straightened the wheel and pulled out of the parking lot and the truck stalled twice, with an associated clicking sound while I hit the accelerator. I pulled it into a parking space quickly and let it sit, revving the engine a bit to see if I could duplicate the problem, which I couldn't. Did the return trip (another 25 miles, same brutal heat) with no incident, but now I'm worried about taking it back out and getting stranded...didn't seem to drive as smoothly on the way back, but of course, could have been imagined because of the incident...

Does anyone know if this sounds familiar? Could it hint at alternator problems on the horizon? Not sure how to proceed...

Thanks!

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Now this is a wild ass guess but stay with me on it.
I welcome any one else to call me on this one and say I'm full of shiat. No feelings will be hurt.

Okay you backed up and turned the wheel and heard a squeal. Squeals are almost always belts. So if you were turning and the power steering didn't have enough fluid you could have put the engine under strain and the squeal was the engine attempting to turn a bound up pump. I have killed my engine doing the same thing when I was have power steering problems with a rough running engine.

Was the truck difficult to turn right before it died?
Have you checked all your fluid levels?

Can you tell us more about this statement?
FLLRover said:
didn't seem to drive as smoothly on the way back
Like how...???

·
Registered
674 Posts
The worst kind of squeel I ever heard (apart from the wife when I....never mind :D )....was when I found a rock in the front disc brakes - it was terrible, but all i did was jimmy the rock out and all was good. But other than that Okie is right - should be a belt and the main belt (serpentine) is nearly always the culprit

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Appreciate it guys -- as luck (?) would have it, there is a rover mechanic a block from my place...hope he and I don't become too good of friends, and am going to try and get myself up to speed on general maintenance -- will be taking the ole' new rover in tomorrow to have him give it the once over -- will mention your suggestions...let you know what he finds --

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.