Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2000 Discovery with 109,000 on it. Somehow I feel have replaced an inordinate amount of parts on it, or maybe not. I have gone through several parts of the ACE, the hydraulics, a hub. I have replaced both SLS shocks. Each time I go to the dealer it costs me 3k or so. Now they are replacing the LF ball joint, wheel bearings, and tie rods. (the wheel bearings i understand). That's just the big stuff. Somehow for a vehicle this tough and purpose built shouldn't it be tougher? I only go off road in the sand, deep soft sand and hit a few frost heaves but that is all. I love my LR and I guess if I just keep pumping it full of parts it'll go forever. Anyone else experience these problems? Or is it the mileage.

happy trails

Adria

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
Well the first thing I would say is find someone else other than a dealer to work on it for you. That should cut your bills in half if not more. Secondly I would say anything you go off road or on the trails with a truck that has 100k+ on the clock is going to wear some parts out and those will need to be replaced. If you install a new part but the rest of them are old the new part will affect those older parts.
Take for example, my daily driver needed a tune up. I gave it one. Did all the fiulds the hoses the plugs and wires and the S belt and so on. A full tune up. A month later the water pump started to leak... the new belt cause extra pressure on an old water pump and seals and it started to leak. No big deal but its a good example.

Reading your list of parts that you've replaced and reading that you 4 wheel in the sand kinda makes sence. Sand can get into all kinds of places and grind away at parts like sandpaper.

I would suggest not using the 'Stealer' for your work and use someone else. Its a truck not the space shuttle. Its an engine with 4 wheels and 5 or 7 seats ;) . If they (the little local repair guy) can repair a Honda, GM, Ford or whatever then they can fix your truck.
And I would also look into getting aftermarket parts to help protect your under carriage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize I should not be visiting the stealer! At 100 bucks an hour anything is expensive :eek: My mother seems to think it's always broken down but in reality it has a lot of miles, not highway! I did take it to a local guy who figured out the clunking! But then he went to replace the VC gaskets, pinion seal and something else, I ended up stranded having run out of hydraulic fluid, burnt out the steering pump.

Thanks for the reply, I just need to find someone else to fix it. And a good source for parts. I need to replace the rear rotors and pads next.

Adria

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I'm not in Canada, I'm in Vermont, I just raise Canada Geese! I would have to say that most of things that have gone wrong were in the "special" options...The ACE, the self leveling suspension, the little step on the back, if the truck were with out these options the repairs would not have been so extensive. My mother keeps telling me I should get a nice (reliable?) Japanese vehicle, eek! I on the other hand figure I have so much invested in the Disco 2, I'm gonna drive it till it drops! Maybe after it hits 200K I'll really take it off-road!

Adria

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not all mechanics are created equally.

I took my Rover to a friends shop a few miserable times after my warranty wore off and it was a bad decision. I too found myself stranded a few times because they installed parts the wrong way.
They became afraid to work on it, lol.

Then I found a local independent Land Rover shop that had greenblood, meaning that all the mechanics and the owners all drove RRC's and Discos.

Since then my bills are far more reasonable, and I get better service imho.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.