Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of these trailer wiring kits from B-A to get a cleaner install by avoiding having to splice directly into the wiring harness.

https://www.roverparts.com/electrica...ng-kits/9439C/

Unfortunately, it is not working with my trailer, which has LED lights.

The kit puts out voltage on all the pins (running, brake, turn), but only about 9V (I have 13.5V at the battery, 12.25 at the harness plug in the right rear light well).

The trailer wiring/lighting works fine with my Chevy 1500 (which is spliced directly into the rear lighting wiring).

B-A says that their harness is not designed to drive LEDs (their literature doesn't indicate this limitation). As the LEDs match the impedance of resistive bulbs and the voltage-current is DC, I don't see

Has anyone had experience with these "plug-and-play" trailer wiring kits?

Any thoughts on how to determine whether the kit really is incompatible with LEDs or whether I just have a bad kit.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
check your connectors and tines for corrosion?

you have the round multiple, what voltages do you read at the socket? if you're losing 3V between the LR tow plug and the lamps...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well crapola. Thanks for posting this. I just ordered one of these last week (waiting on the delivery), and every light on my trailer is LED.

Any more news on this?

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
Your vehicle’s ubiquitous power supply is 12v, and I would imagine any trailer light setup would be 12v. If you’re losing voltage from the vehicle to the trailer, there’s a bad connection or similar problem.

I can’t imagine one even remotely plausible reason to manufacture a trailer wiring kit that intentionally bucks or shunts voltage between two nominally 12v systems. I think AB is just copping out by saying that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts