Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, It runs, I have no idea what I did. I pulled the plugs on the relay and put them back in. I also pulled some plugs and replaced them. I am so happy that it runs. I also do not know if it needs another engine quite yet either. So to my question, after warming up it sounded like there were some horses galeping in side. I am guessing lifters. Is there a fix to this or anything I should look at doing to it. I am not familiar as to if the lifters can be adjusted or anything else. Thanks and again I am so happy.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
the lifters are hydraulic and are prone to wear a pretty easy job to replace them but also replace the cam too as these also wear anything around 80-120,000 miles is normal life expectancy for these items

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it sounds like a gang of horses, how long do I have and what kind of engine problems can develop. Also, What and how long of a job am I looking at to repair this problem? Hopefully that is all I find, I have not driven it yet.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Glad you didn't have to rip into the engine. I know this might sound like a silly question, but have you topped up the engine oil? Might just stop the "galloping horses" concerto.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Concerto, LOL. the oil is topped off, I think I am going to try an oil additive and then drain the oil and replace it. This may help, hopefully. The oil may be slightly watered down due to sweating over time. we shall seel

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well. So far so good, I started it up this afternoon and no more tick, well not much tick anyways, from the passenger side of the engine bay you can detect very slight tap, but nothing abnormal. I also filled the power steering reservior and checked all the hoses. Everything checks out so far, I even moved it around alittle. Next comes the road test, :rellye keep your fingers crossed. There is one issue though, when the car is cold and I try to start it, it seems like the batery is low on juice and the starter clicks, but if you try it long enough it finaly starts, is this normal or an easy fix, or sound like anything anybody has heard of? Well TTFN I will bring more news after the road test.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update; Questions

Okay, so the Transmision and everything else works, However, When I got back from my test drive My disco immediatly started to tick again, and it got worse, I tried accelerating and the tick just got louder. I is however not a rod, Yay. I also noticed that the oil light came on. I am figuring that possibly my oil pump is not putting out enough pressure hence causing the hydrolic lifters not to work. Could this be right? also my truck ended up stalling, and now will not turn over. Any thoughts on this as well? Thanks again.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well... mine was doing the same thing the previous owner maybe never changed the oil.... but anyway the oil pickup screen sounds like its clogged I would drop the oilpan and clean all the sludge out and remove the oil pump pickup and clean it as best as possible. I also removed some of what i would call is a pick up shield you'll understand once you look at it. You could also remove the valve covers and shovel the sludge that is likely there as well as flush the motor from the top down IE flush the oil passages from the head and it will fall out the bottom end. It could save you a motor rebuild. bolt it all back up and run some sea foam in the engine oil as reccomended on the can maybe a touch stronger for a couple days and change the oil again.. its will come out chuncky and black as the seafoam is clearing the galleries you couldn't. That should also flush anything keeping the lifters from pumping up and hopefully fix your lifter problem. as for stalling and not starting ? Fresh battery check the terminals and the connections at the starter. How long did it run with the oil light on and was it kinda flickery on and would go off with a little more rpm or was it like DEAD ON? you could have siezed the motor but i hope thats not the case

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the imput, I have some more news, 20 Mins latter I went out to the rig, And it turned right on. The lifter tick was almost non existent. now I am baffled. The tick is only there after warming up alot. Like more than 30mins or so. And the tick gets louder as I give it gas. As well, upon warming up alot the starter does not want to turn over,(maybe due to lack of oil) and a little siezing. The oil light only came on right before the disco stalled. So I am not sure if it is oil related or low rpm related. All of these issues seem to somewhat revolve around warming up, alot. I let it idle for 30 mins or so before driving, and only after driving did the problems arise.

I am thinking about doing a complete engine flush and then using oil stabilizer. but does this sound right, That the lifter will get louder with revs, most peoples seem to get quiter. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
MrSpool said:
That the lifter will get louder with revs, most peoples seem to get quiter. Thanks.

I had that happen in a dodge once....He hydraulic lifters that he just cranked down on and over tightened!!!!! When i got the truck to look at it the lifters were completely sunk and needed to be replaced. New lifters and the high rpm tick was gone.

·
Registered
707 Posts
MrSpool said:
Thanks for the imput, I have some more news, 20 Mins latter I went out to the rig, And it turned right on. The lifter tick was almost non existent. now I am baffled. The tick is only there after warming up alot. Like more than 30mins or so. And the tick gets louder as I give it gas. As well, upon warming up alot the starter does not want to turn over,(maybe due to lack of oil) and a little siezing. The oil light only came on right before the disco stalled. So I am not sure if it is oil related or low rpm related. All of these issues seem to somewhat revolve around warming up, alot. I let it idle for 30 mins or so before driving, and only after driving did the problems arise.

I am thinking about doing a complete engine flush and then using oil stabilizer. but does this sound right, That the lifter will get louder with revs, most peoples seem to get quiter. Thanks.
Good. I would do a flush and seafoam. and it sounds like you have a stuck or clogged lifter. the reason its louder when warm is because the oil thins out making the cam impact harder and as for when it revs since its clogged the increase in oil pressure isn't pumping the lifter up so it is in effect hitting the cam harder and more frequently. I have seen seafoam revive many a stuck lifter, its worth a shot before replacing it . As for the weak starter, they are electric motors and heat is directly linked with internal resistance in the wiring. Is you stock heat shield in place? It may just be the starter on the way out if you've checked the things i mentioned before.

Since I can't hear it i would also ask you to verify its not an exhaust leak tick from the upper or lower manifold gaskets, that can sometimes sound very similar and have the above characteristics you've given. I would do this by letting the motor idle and placeing a smalltipped long flat head screwdriver on the front surface of the head and placing ball end of the handle upto/into you ear so it acts like a steathascope(SP?) try touching differt areas to localize the tick and you should hear is quite clearly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the imput, as far as dropping the pan would you worry about doing that or just run an engine flush for now. also I do have an exhaust leak somewhere, So I will try to see if that is it. however I am super deaf so I guesse I will see if i can hear it. Would an exhaust leak sound like meatal on metal and real loud? Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think we got it, I put the seafoam into the crankcase, then ran the disco for about an hour with intermitten driving around the block. No tick as of yet. I am not sure what to do next, I have 10w-40 oil and a filter along with lucas stabilizer and engine flush. should I try to use engine flush or more seafoam in the intake, or should I just keep trying to drive it? I am asking becouse it seems like it is going well and i dont want to mess anything up. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.