Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already!!

Bought our 02 Disco 3-4 weeks ago. Wife just called " I hit a bump and the stereo went off" Completly dead of sound but still on. Sound then came back as static.

30 mins later she calls back. After returning to the Disco after a stop, she gets in and "smells something" I told her to turn the D**N stereo off and leave it. Rather have a Pissed wife than a scorched Rover.

So, anyone else have a problem like this? Its an 02 Disco SD AM/FM Cassette stock set up

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Radio Problem

First of all it is not common, seconf I would pull the fuse untill you can have it checked out.
What's causing it, who's to say. Let us know what you find.
Mike J.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Checked it out when the misses got home. I had the stereo on a while and never smelled anything but new car smell air freshener. Think she was imagining it. As far as the problem, Its only on the FM stations. AM, WB, and the tape deck work great. Someone elsewhere had a static problem with the factory amp could this be the same? Or does this sound more antenaa related? (which I think I finally figured out is on the right rear side window)

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
On mine 93 RR LWB. The special tool is a really small screw driver.
Inside the little holes are little screws that move a paddle away from the facia. Mine is just held in with friction. The friction of the paddle/spade being pushed against the plastic bits.

Hope this helps.
IF the tool is indeed special you could take it to your local "bump and thump" stereo installer and for $20 I'll bet they'll hook it back up for ya.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OkieRover said:
On mine 93 RR LWB. The special tool is a really small screw driver.
Inside the little holes are little screws that move a paddle away from the facia. Mine is just held in with friction. The friction of the paddle/spade being pushed against the plastic bits.

Hope this helps.
IF the tool is indeed special you could take it to your local "bump and thump" stereo installer and for $20 I'll bet they'll hook it back up for ya.

Mine has a thin wide slot on top at each side. Messed around with it a little with no luck. Think a screwdriver may work just need a longer one. If not I might get brave enough to remove the surrounding trim and try to reach around. No time like the present to get REALLY familiar with the new baby!

2,687 Posts
jkb2002disco said:
Mine has a thin wide slot on top at each side. Messed around with it a little with no luck. Think a screwdriver may work just need a longer one. If not I might get brave enough to remove the surrounding trim and try to reach around. No time like the present to get REALLY familiar with the new baby!
Try the metal bar from a hanging file folder

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rmuller said:
Try the metal bar from a hanging file folder
Hey thanks the Hanging file folder works great! Locks right in and wont let go until the radios out.
Bad news is Its not the antenna! FM is dead AM and WB works unplug the antenna and the AM goes dead too. Replug the antenna get the AM back but still no FM. Got in touch with a dealer today. Warranty will cover depending on when it was sold (some 2002 have already expired past the 4year mark).

So I'm seeking advice. If the warranty is in, should I mess with the dealer and keep the factory, or just go ahead and install an aftermarket unit with CD (dont have the factory changer). My main concern with aftermarket is losing the steering mounted controls. How easy are these to keep, If at all? Thanks for everyone's input!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.